Where did the training time go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4eyes2wheels

Regular
In January I signed up for the Reigate Rouleur. Hey there were 6 months to get some training in so I bought my Giant Defy 5 and some other kit. Training was hard to schedule - work, family, hockey all demanding my time. For the last several weeks have been getting out once a week and building up steadily - 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 50, 25, 32 including twice up Box Hill.

Two weeks to go now and I am sure I can make it but wondering if a groupset upgrade would make a significant difference? So can I get myself a 105 groupset and "just swap it over" or am I going to get into bother with extra bits I need to change over?

Perhaps I'd be better off spending the next two weeks getting some more miles in my legs!

Anyway - hello and appreciate your feedback.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi 4eyes2wheels and :welcome:.

You could fit a different groupset but it probably won't make a noticeable performance difference on the day. The general consensus is that wheels and tyres are where the first upgrades should be made as lightening the rotating mass allows you to spin up to speed more easily.

More expert people than me will be along shortly to give more advice.

I hope the event goes well. Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
dont bother with a groupset upgrade yet. Do the ride with the kit you already have fitted , it will not make any noticeable difference to the ride.

Once you have decided whether you enjoy it, then invest in an upgrade.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi 4eyes2wheels and :welcome:.

You could fit a different groupset but it probably won't make a noticable performance difference on the day. The general consensus is that wheels and tyres are where the first upgrades should be made as lightening the rotating mass allows you to spin up to speed more easily.

More expert people than me will be along shortly to give more advice.

I hope the event goes well. Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

Yep, to me the percentile change would be almost insignificant and wouldn't justify the cost, better to loose a few pounds in weight (not you...generally) or just get out a bit more. That said if you want to upgrade, go ahead but don't do it expecting to suddenly feel like you have an electric motor on your bike.

I know its tricky getting in more training but it is the only thing that really works. Upgrades only seem to have an effect once you are already up to a good level of cycle fitness and can therefore be exploited more.

Good luck

Oh and welcome aboard!

OP
OP
4eyes2wheels

4eyes2wheels

Regular
Thanks everyone - I know deep down that I am the limiting factor. An adjustment on my front derailleur will help and more miles is really what I need.

OP
OP
4eyes2wheels

4eyes2wheels

Regular
Yesterday saw the day of the Reigate Rouleur - what a hot day for my first sportive.

It was brutal, I went in a hedge to avoid coming off on a gravelly bend, I had to walk up the worst climbs and it took me about 7 hours (including feed stations) to do 85 miles but I did it!

Top Bottom