Where do all the IT graduates work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think, actually, computer science / software engineering / information technology is a pretty good thing to study and not a bad line of work to get into. Apart from the dearth of young ladies, that is. If you want to find romance, you will probably have to look outside work. Nevertheless, compared to what I hear about the **** other people have to cope with in their jobs, I remember very little bullying. It is a job where you need brain power, the more, the better. In many jobs, other personal qualities are more important, but in computer programming, brain power is the most important thing.
I'd have to disagree in part, although i do agree that in order to do good work with software, you have to have be pretty good at the kind of logical thinking required. I've worked with some exceptionally talented software engineers in my time, some of them have very little in the way of social skills, and in some cases have been downright arrogant and impersonable. If they are working on their own, then fair enough, they get the job done. When working in teams however, they tend to disrupt and make whole projects a nightmare, especially if somehow they have gotten into the position of "manager". The best work that myself and my teams have done has always been when all of the people in the team get on with each other and there isnt a "tw*tty dave" who thinks that because he is more intelligent than everyone else, should be able to ignore the input of everyone else.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Every single one of the buggers works at my company, dreaming up ways to make my job more complex, frustrating, awkward, slow and damn near impossible.

"enhancing the user experience " they calls it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'd have to disagree in part, although i do agree that in order to do good work with software, you have to have be pretty good at the kind of logical thinking required. I've worked with some exceptionally talented software engineers in my time, some of them have very little in the way of social skills, and in some cases have been downright arrogant and impersonable. If they are working on their own, then fair enough, they get the job done. When working in teams however, they tend to disrupt and make whole projects a nightmare, especially if somehow they have gotten into the position of "manager". The best work that myself and my teams have done has always been when all of the people in the team get on with each other and there isnt a "tw*tty dave" who thinks that because he is more intelligent than everyone else, should be able to ignore the input of everyone else.

I suppose that's true enough.

Dan B

Disengaged member
IT and Information Science is an amazing field. The advice however is go the way of the hard sciences, including engineering, maths, physics and then aim for IT giants.
That's not the only possible advice though - IT giants are responsible for some of the worst code I've ever seen. I much prefer the startup scene where you don't have a six week wait to provision a new server

brand

In to their bedrooms. They then lock the door turn on the computer and switch out the light and enter the dark recess of the internet.
Some of them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom