Where do potholes go at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Found myself riding in the dark for the first time for years yesterday. A surprisingly pleasant experience. You get more warning of vehicles behind you as you can see their lights coming. I felt very visible with my flashing lights and highly reflective (but black) clothing and much to my surprise the road surface didn't trouble me at all.

Now, I usually ride scanning the road surface in front for every imperfection, but you can't do this at night for obvious reasons. I always ride well out from the edge anyway but really my ride was smooth and bump free. I was on roads I know well, but even known nasty bits were untroubling. Do the local council put their potholes away at night?

Oh they're still there, it's probably that you are further away from the edges of the road,where the worst offenders lurk, without realising it, in the dark. I'm more troubled by invisininjas, and their equally invisidogs at this time of the year.

Yes, I did come across a couple of dog walkers, but I spotted them and they responded to my usual call of "One bicycle coming through on your right." No issues.

They're all a bit thick round my way I think. Last night Spotted the dark clad doggy Ninja, and gave the customary "Coming through on the left" call. Only to have the simpleton walking the dog to step to the side ( leaving me between him and the dog with no where to go)and call the dog over as I got between him and the dog. Well I invented a few new expletives, which he received at a high level of dB's, for that genius manoeuvre.

arch684

Veteran
Oh they're still there, it's probably that you are further away from the edges of the road,where the worst offenders lurk, without realising it, in the dark. I'm more troubled by invisininjas, and their equally invisidogs at this time of the year.
took the dog for a walk last night 4 times i had to stand aside to let cyclist's pass.all of them on the pavement,all adults and not 1 of them had lights on there bikes or warned me they were there

Ransom1980

I found the mother of pot holes Tuesday night just on a pretty steep hill going down on the drop bars for brakes as only bike lights an was raining dark an very windy to say a Oh poooo! Moment when my hands pretty much slipped off at speed

So no the potholes are just hiding to the unsuspecting

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Potholes are what put me off riding at night. The lanes around here are unlit so are very dark, loads of potholes and the roads are steep so you're going downhill at a fair lick. I wouldn't enjoy that, just worrying about hitting a deep one and losing control

Top Bottom