Where do the all the work shirt wearers buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

threebikesmcginty said:
Stephens Brothers make a good shirt, Daniel Hechter used to until they started using that awful modern collar design with the huge spread. And I'm not sure why anyone needs to button down a collar - are they afraid of the wind catching hold of it?

A nice button down can work IMO. I have worn at work with a knitted tie and black cord suit. Looks ace! The devil is in the detail :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Fab Foodie said:
M&S, my Jewish taylor...

+1 M&S here as well, excellent value

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
M&S, Charidee shops and a little shop in Newcastle I forget the name of right now! I'm rather fond of button-downs, but don't wear them all the time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
4F said:
+1 M&S here as well, excellent value
God, aren't we middle aged!

To be honest I have about 3 of their posh shirts with French Cuffs for suit-wearing and and the rest are their middle of the range mostly short sleeved shirts for work. No tie required, it's usually pretty warm where I work and chances are my clothes will be attacked by food at some time or other so Chinos rather than taylored trews. Dull I know.
I did splash out on a £130 pair of loafers the other week, very nice, but a trip to Germany has seen some serious blisters appear on my heel... ouch. I think they'll take some breaking in!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Hawes and Curtis do a nice range and their stretch ladies shirts are fab and seem to last forever. Decent price too - around £25.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had two shirts made-to-measure by a tailor called OGB in Lagos. He charges £35 a time. They have biggish, stiff collars designed for wearing without a tie and no breast pocket, long sleeves, quite fitted. Time will tell how well they last. I got mine in a snazzy stripe for causal rather than office wear.

Otherwise for work I always buy Van Heusen shirts, which you can get at Boundary Mill Stores in Colne for around £25 - £35 each depending on what promotions thy've got running. The quality is good. I bought two suits there, Austin Reed and Daniel Hechter for £300 earlier this year.

For work I've been wearing the same Barker's brogues made in Northampton for over 20 years, they've been re-soled about six times and are super-comfortable.

ChrisKH

Guru
M & S because nowhere else (other than hand made) produces a shirt that fits. Usually one of their more expensive or Italian range. Pink/Hacket/etc. all wash up crappily and are murder to iron and fold for commuting.
I like hand made shirts made in a silk/cotton mix from the Far East but don't get out there as often as I used to.

U

User169

Lewin is good for run-of-the-mill shirts - there's usually some offer on so you they work out about 25GBP.

For something a bit better, it's difficult to look past Turnbull and Asser.

(Pink is a bit cityboyesque for me)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Flying_Monkey said:
Well, work is where we spend most of our waking time during the week. And I like to look good when I can... I've taken to buying replica 1920s shirts with spearpoint collars - I can't stand those massive modern city wideboy-style collars that almost all modern shirts have. And they go well with both the vintage tweed and my Paul Smith cord suits...
this post is sooooooooooo useless without pics!

Do you top off the ensemble with a fedora, bow tie and silk hanky draped from the suit breast pocket? And tell us about the riding boots!!!!

Uniqlo flannel shirts. £15. Or All Saints - much more expensive, but so chic that to iron them would be a shame. Peter Werth used to do really jazzy no-iron shirts, but they've gone all grey. I have a seersucker cowboy shirt by Christian Lacroix which doesn't need ironing. But my favourite is a short-sleeved Francois Girbaud item with silk-screened pictures of flowers and a young man draped in christmas decs dropping his trousers.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I always get my shirts in the sales - anyone such as Debenhams, Next, Suits Co, John Lewis, etc. Got my latest from a small independent in Rugby - very good indeed.

Although I did have to buy one from Next in a panic - got to work to find that my shoes in my rucksack had rubbed against my shirt and put a dirty great mark just below shoulder height on the front. And I had an important meeting that day. So I had to buy an emergency shirt. Unfortunately it was an non-iron shirt and is a complete pain to get crease-free after washing.

However one thing is missing from life. If I want to give a diddly squat about the amount of pesticides and fertiliser used in cotton production, and the way that workers are exploited, and want a shirt in fair trade, organic cotton, I can only find one seller, who only does them in white. No hemp or bamboo mix available from anywhere.

Top Bottom