Where do the all the work shirt wearers buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

BrumJim said:
However one thing is missing from life. If I want to give a diddly squat about the amount of pesticides and fertiliser used in cotton production, and the way that workers are exploited, and want a shirt in fair trade, organic cotton, I can only find one seller, who only does them in white. No hemp or bamboo mix available from anywhere.

A good point.

There's quite an interesting book about where underpants come from in relation to the cotton industry.

threebikesmcginty said:
I'm not diametrically opposed to a button-down per se! :laugh:

I've got a couple but I prefer them as a casual rather than work shirt with tie, not that I wear a tie that often.
All this talk of shirt design has reminded me of the early 1970s when I rode an ancient single speed steed, somewhat too large for my teenage body. As was the custom, I wore patterned shirts with huge drooping collars uncannily like the ears of an African elephant.

There was a certain long hill en route to my grandparents' house down which I generated exactly sufficient velocity to set up a remarkable phenomenon. As my speed increased those elephant's ears began to rise and flap lazily against my rosy cheeks. By the time I reached critical speed they were beating a loud and painful tatoo with astonishing rapidity. Only when the hill levelled off did this torture abate.

I arrived with glowing cheeks and smarting eyes. (Ohh, for button-downs!)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
dellzeqq said:
this post is sooooooooooo useless without pics!

But my favourite is a short-sleeved Francois Girbaud item with silk-screened pictures of flowers and a young man draped in christmas decs dropping his trousers.

I do hope he is not revealing his baubles.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Perfect Virgo said:
All this talk of shirt design has reminded me of the early 1970s when I rode an ancient single speed steed, somewhat too large for my teenage body. As was the custom, I wore patterned shirts with huge drooping collars uncannily like the ears of an African elephant.

There was a certain long hill en route to my grandparents' house down which I generated exactly sufficient velocity to set up a remarkable phenomenon. As my speed increased those elephant's ears began to rise and flap lazily against my rosy cheeks. By the time I reached critical speed they were beating a loud and painful tatoo with astonishing rapidity. Only when the hill levelled off did this torture abate.

I arrived with glowing cheeks and smarting eyes. (Ohh, for button-downs!)

:laugh:

I had some of those shirts too - what were my parents thinking of. There are some photos with me wearing some really gaudy designs with the aforementioned elephant ear sized collars!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I buy workshirts from whoever has them cheap enough in their sale. I'm also with Mr Paul - why waste money on workclothes? Sitting at a desk all day wearing a £10 shirt isn't going to be any different to sitting at a desk all day in a £75 shirt.

BTW - is pink the power-dressing shirt colour where you are? My work's full of them. Still, if looking like a girl makes them feel important then who am I to argue? :biggrin:

woofer

Über Member
our firm supply us with 3 shirts with the company name embroided on them,the accountant pressed 2 & 3 together when he sent the order through for mine. Im now the proud owner of 32 company shirts

U

User169

I work with someone who has his initials embroidered on the cuffs of his shirts. Makes me feel quite unwell.

I get my work clobber supplied, usually. At the moment I'm wearing filthy jeans and an old black T shirt for work. :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
dellzeqq said:
Do you top off the ensemble with a fedora, bow tie and silk hanky draped from the suit breast pocket? And tell us about the riding boots!!!!

I do have a fedora, actually! And several other natty hats. No silk hankies, but I do have Japanese tenegui instead. And no riding boots - that would just be overly pretentious as I don't ride...

Uniqlo flannel shirts.

Are excellent. As are their limited edition U-T t-shirts, which I stocked up on last time I was in Tokyo.

But my favourite is a short-sleeved Francois Girbaud item with silk-screened pictures of flowers and a young man draped in christmas decs dropping his trousers.

It doesn't surprise me. :angry: I don't think that would be quite me though...

U

User482

I give M&S a wide birth as I'm distinctly unimpressed with the quality of their shirts. I tend to go to TK Maxx because they often have good quality branded shirts that last, with proper cuffs for cufflinks.

I shall duck out now and leave the dandys to it.

Company supplies mine when they wear thin enough that they need replacing. Before we changed trusts we were issued with mauve shirts which soon faded to light mauve after a few washes, but now the new trust have gone to navy blue and they seem to be a better quality so we will have to see.

U

User169

What are people's thoughts on double cuffs? Used to swear by them, but increasingly can't help feeling they're utterly daft. I quite like the old Turnbull and Asser "Bond" cuff though.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Delftse Post said:
What are people's thoughts on double cuffs? Used to swear by them, but increasingly can't help feeling they're utterly daft. I quite like the old Turnbull and Asser "Bond" cuff though.

Curates Egg, isn't it?

Inherited a load of cuff links from my Father, so was well into double cuffs when the need arose.

Some cuffs can be a touch on the narrow side - esp. on the side you wear your watch.

Obv. a fob watch is the answer - but then I'd worry about lapels on my waistcoat and whether to leave the bottom buton unfastened

Sartorial mine field! :becool:

Top Bottom