Where do you get your rags from...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
When I was a kid I once borrowed my dads bike for a short trip to the shops. I couldn't understand the laughter I was getting from my mates all the way there and back until I got home to discover the old pair of y-fronts he'd used to wipe the bike down, strung over the rear reflector.:biggrin:

If you must use old clothing, stick to t-shirts.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Cotton based waste is getting difficult to get - too much artificial clobber about. I buy a roll of mutton cloth from my local car spares shop. Lasts for ages.

Old face flannels are a good option.

Bodhbh

Guru
re: the charity shop. Charity shops get a fair amout of stuff that's too knackered to put out for sale. If wouldn't be suprised if you had a word and for a modest donation, they'd save some of the really knackered clothes that would otherwise get binned.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

PrettyboyTim said:
Having four children, there's always a ready supply of clothes that have been grown out of.

Mmm. We have two. However, for some reason my wife insists on putting the old clothes in airtight boxes and storing them away. I don't understand why she is doing this.....:blush::biggrin:

(I should add that I would get rid of them today if I could....... the old clothes that is....not the kids.....or the wife.......oh...... I'd better stop writing now.....)

:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

andy_wrx said:
Start riding sportives.

You'll soon have a collection of t-shirts suitable for use as cleaning rags.

Mmm. I'll have to get the right bike for that though, wouldn't I. Hmmm. It could work...:tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use old socks - we seem to be very adapt as a family at creating holes in them or loosing one of a pair. In fact I can't get through them fast enough - I don't clean my bike enough obviously.

grhm

Veteran
dodgy said:
Good idea, but probably best not to tell the staff what you intend to do with these 'rags'. I know for a fact that they pride themselves in the way they prepare/clean/display these items, it might make them feel slightly deflated.

You might want to ask the staff if they can supply you with their rejects. My mum used to work in a charity shop back room where they sorted and prepared donations before putting them on the shop floor. She said they got a huge amount of clothes that were ripped or spoilt in some way that they would not consider presenting for sale. All of the rejects got carted away - not sure if they were skipped or recycled of what.

If you go it asking for rags, don't mind taking a black bag of unsaleable stuff, and offer a quid or two for it, they might actually be glad to get some cash for what would otherwise be rubbish.

I had the same thought recently and considered chucking all my old rags into the washing machine... run the idea past the other half and after seeing all the dirty black greasy pile of old clothes and cloths, I was very politely told to f**k off!! :ohmy:

I can't see why, afterall, aren't you supposed to put dirty laundry in a washing machine??! :evil:

I'm now considering taking the lot down to the laundrette... with a lot of washing up powder.

Has anyone else considered this?

ChrisKH

Guru
Very useful having young children who grow out of soft clothes very quickly. That and loads of baby wipes which can do pretty much anything.

ASC1951

Guru
magnatom said:
Ah-ha! never thought of using baby wipes.... I just assumed that the chemicals in them might no be the best for the bike/chain.)
Just industrial alcohol, isn't it? A solvent and nothing else. Baby wipes are very good for all sorts of bike cleaning and the 'own label' versions are usually half the price.

Fiona N

Veteran
grhm said:
All of the rejects got carted away - not sure if they were skipped or recycled of what.
It usually goes for rag - textile material is added to all sorts including paper (if it's the correct material)

If it's cotton rags you're after - and this is what I usually find makes the best stuff for bike cleaning - try getting hold of old bed sheets and pillow cases. A single sheet will rip up into cloths for years so it's not like you need to find one every month. Charity shops often have bedlinens at pretty low prices as people seem to be squeamish about buying used linens (but what's the difference to a hotel bed?) so you can pick up a double bed sheet for £2-3. Alternatively try asking around - cotton sheets don't last for ever, so your Mum/Gran/neighbours is likely to have an old sheet or two hanging around. Flannelette or brushed cotton is usually more absorbant than smooth.

Top Bottom