Where do you put it all..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I've just realised that, if I were to get a puncture whilst commuting (it's around 5 miles from Aldershot to Farnborough), I'm nowhere near prepared to fix it, and would have a fair old walk to any kind of public transport.

So where do you put all this gear? I understand a saddle bag is a good idea, but what if underneath your saddle already has something on it? My saddle bar holds my lock (facing towards the hadlebars) and my rear light (and likely soon to be a mudguard aswell in this weather), so how could I fit the saddle bag there aswell? Or is there somewhere else I could put the light without it looking unsightly?

I understand I've posed quite a few questions...but then maybe it's just a case of me having a play around with where to put what?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A spare tube and puncture kit goes in a jacket/jersey pocket easy enough.
A pump can be attached to the bike or also in jacket/jersey pocket.
then there is c02 which takes up very little space.

there is also the option of pannier or small bag, messenger/rucksack etc.

OP
OP
B

BenBlundell

Regular
CO2? First I've heard of using that to pump my tyre up! How does it work, do I need to inflate my tyre with a pump, and finish it off with that cannister? Seems a bit small to pump up a whole tyre with one of those!

siadwell

Guru
Someone posted recently in the bargain thread about a bag that fits inside the triangle of the frame. That might suit you.
Many saddle bags have an loop for attaching an LED rear light. I have a Vaude Race Light saddle bag (got it from Wiggle, but they don't appear to stock anymore). It's got a really good loop that holds my RSP Astrum very securely in a good position.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
CO2 will fill an entire tyre from empty to 120psi in about 2 seconds.

they are small and simple to use.

but they do have distinct drawbacks to consider;

1- the inflater unit (gun) costs about £15-20
2- each gas cylinder costs around £2, more if you buy them 2 at a time
3- you tend to fill the tyre very rapidly (even with trigger guns that allow you to fill in bursts) as such its easy to misfit the tube so that it herniates out from the tyre...something you watch for when inflating manually
4- it is possible, if you are tired, have had three punctures already that night, are cold, am stranded in lewisham and are a bit thick....to over fill the tyre to a relativley dangerous level by first putting air in the tube with a pump (just to ease the installation of the tube)....dont do this...its CO2 or Pump but never both
5- punctures can come in herds, and you will likely only carry 2-3 cannisters...so may still want a backup pump for a long ride.
6- its easy (especially at first) to fire blanks and just waste a cannister without filling the tube by noit fixing the two together correctly.
7- its also easy to waste a cannister by inserting it into the gun incorrectly...at first.

OP
OP
B

BenBlundell

Regular
Looks like a great idea that. So, puncture repair gear in the bottle, waterproofs in the saddle bag?

I also didn't realise that you could attach your light to a saddle bag, great idea that.

mangid

Guru
A spare tube and puncture kit goes in a jacket/jersey pocket easy enough.
A pump can be attached to the bike or also in jacket/jersey pocket.
then there is c02 which takes up very little space.

A true follower of the rules.
notworthy.gif

Me, I carry 2 tubes, patches, levers, multitool spare bit of chain, quick links, in a TopPeak ProPack. The pack I move between bikes, but I have a pump on each bike (I once managed 8 miles by using a bit of crisp packet to cover a puncture when I forgot to move the bag over).

Reactions: gaz
I have an old bidon stuffed with tubes, levers, patches, a couple of appropriate Allen keys and (when fixed) a 15mm spanner.

It sits in my second bottle cage and can be transferred between bikes in 0.37 seconds.

I also have an old Tesco Tomato Soup carton (the translucent plastic ones). This does the same job but also carries a gilet.

I've been known to stuff a new tube into the rails of my saddle, but it gets cruddy and yucky there.

I don't like saddle bags and panniers and rucksacks... so if I need to cycle with more than that, I cycle in my car.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Lock and pump frame mounted lower down, saddle bag with light mount is roughly what I go for on both my bikes :smile:

lejogger

Guru
Winter riding is different to summer riding.

Summer bike on long club rides or events you don't want additional weight on the frame. You also don't need lights most of the time. You'll probably need both bottle cages for water/energy drinks if you're doing a lot of miles in the sun too. On these occasions I fit two tubes, 3 tyre levers (i only ever use 2 though?!? they just came in a pack of three!) a pocket sized pump, two different sized allen keys, my wallet/phone holder, a waterproof jacket, a small lock, my cleat covers and my keys in my 3 rear jersey pockets. Simple.

Winter bike/commute is a different matter entirely. Rack bag holds 2 tubes, tyre levers, lock, spare patches, spare power links, emergency buff, waterproof, multitool, energy gels, spare batteries, spare gloves, and occasionally about a kg of gravel or a brick if the club lads have been dicking about at the cafe stop. Lights stay on the bike, and a tiny saddle back holds my front light battery. My suit, shoes and washing gear all fit in one Ortlieb, but that's just for the commute unless we're stopping at a really posh cafe :smile:

akb

Veteran
Not sure if this is going to help, but for me:

Saddle Bag - Topeak jobby, contains spare tube, tyre levers and small adjustable spanner to get the wheel off.
Mounted under my bottle cage is a mini pump, which has either presta or schrader fitment.

If i have a p****** on the way to or from work, the above allows me to quickly change the tube and get back riding again. Then once home, I repair the damaged tube for another day.

Saddle bag has a loop for rear light. My seat is high enough to allow for an extra light on the seat post. I have mudguards which fix to the rear seat stays and holes on the frame. Could you move the lock to a different location on the frame?

carolonabike

I use a small saddlebag which fits under the saddle, lots to chose from. In it I keep a new innertube and a puncture repair kit, a small pump, a pair of latex gloves and my bike lock. There is a loop to hang a light on but on my winter bike I also have a light on the seat stay.

Top Bottom