Where do you report cars going into bus lane.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Not sure if its worth the effort I know life is to short.
I cycle everyday from Mottingham to woolwhich.
There is a bus lane the runs up to the lights to bottom of shooters hill.
Can only assume there is no enforcement of the bus lane as every morning its congested with cars before traffic lights.
While i can understand need to ignore its as there is a long que every morning up the lights just seem to cause a lot of congestion while cars try to force their way into the lane.
As I dont normally report this kind of stuff who would be best person to call, report or write to,

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
TFL

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure if its worth the effort I know life is to short.
I cycle everyday from Mottingham to woolwhich.
There is a bus lane the runs up to the lights to bottom of shooters hill.
Can only assume there is no enforcement of the bus lane as every morning its congested with cars before traffic lights.
While i can understand need to ignore its as there is a long que every morning up the lights just seem to cause a lot of congestion while cars try to force their way into the lane.
As I dont normally report this kind of stuff who would be best person to call, report or write to,
First you need to make sure the bus lane is in operation in the morning. I go home that way (and turn right onto Shooters Hill) but I'm not usually looking on my way to work so don't notice what the bus lane is like (plus thinking about it, it almost certainly isn't in operation at my time). In the evening cars definitely stay out of it cos it confuses them as I try to leave the lane to take the right hand lane while they are all trying to pile across into the new left hand lane after the bus lane stops.

EDIT: Just checked, it runs 7am to 7pm so there should be no cars in it during those times. It doesn't run as far as the lights though. But if a car is in it, report it to TFL as Vickster says.

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
Its not so much the lights its tail back from it. Annoying as they all push in and push you to the kerb.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Its not so much the lights its tail back from it. Annoying as they all push in and push you to the kerb.
Once the lane has ended, to be fair to cars, it's a very narrow two lanes up to the lights. If the lights had just gone red I'd come out of the bus lane and head round the right hand side and then pull in after the front car.

If you're not sure when the lights have changed I agree it's a pain. I'm lucky in that I turn right there so am out of the way of most of the numpties.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In general, if you're unsure, www.fixMyStreet.com will usually redirect your report to the correct authority... but in this case, local experts have told you where to report it :smile:

And it's worth doing. If no-one reports it formally, those running the bus/bike lanes will just claim there have been no reported problems!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Filter on the outside, it's safer, just do it slowly and cautiously
Not sure how that would help when a nobber pulls into the lane alongside a cyclist... do you mean cyclists should wiggle left to right through the jam and not use the clear bus lane at all for fear of infringers pulling in?

subaqua

What’s the point
:banghead: is probably a better response than dealing with TfL who will say it is the Local Authority or Highways agency responsibility ( it isnt BTW it is TfL)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure how that would help when a nobber pulls into the lane alongside a cyclist... do you mean cyclists should wiggle left to right through the jam and not use the clear bus lane at all for fear of infringers pulling in?
I believe I know the bit of road the OP means. The bus lane comes to an end about 50 yards before some traffic lights and the road (which is the South Circular A205) changes from bus lane + 1 lane to 1 lane + right turn lane. So you're not leaving a bus lane empty but you're only really left with 3 choices: be squeezed to the kerb as the traffic pulls into line for what is straight on; hold a primary position in that lane and accept the abuse or pull into the right turn lane with the intention of pulling back in closer to the lights. It's a b***h really. Offhand I can't think of a way around it without it going miles out of your way unless you cut through Lee and through Blackheath Village but that just brings its own nightmares.

Brains

Legendary Member
It's a crappy junction
They have been talking about putting a roundabout there since the 1960's
50 years later we are still waiting

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
Big que again this morning and someone parked up in the lane (not a bus).
Will stop and start taking photographs and start a blog see what if any effect that has.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Big que again this morning and someone parked up in the lane (not a bus).
Will stop and start taking photographs and start a blog see what if any effect that has.
What time do you go past? I saw a couple of bikes heading up that way this morning but it was about 6:50.

Top Bottom