Where do you..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doing great thanks but by what I can work out it's not as bright as the hope although it only uses just over 1 watt apparently.

No SMIDSY's yet (touch wood) only two left hooks in the last 6 commutes.

• New generic MR16 White Light Bulb, 21 LED 1.05W
  • Replaces your current 12 volt halogen lights to save 95% of energy
  • Safe, efficient and saves energy
  • Eliminates color shifting
  • LEDs do not get hot over time
  • Illuminated by electrons movement in a semiconductor material
  • Low heat and lower power consumption
  • MR16 super bright 21 LED spot light
  • Average life; ~50,000 hours (40 times longer then standard incandescent. Under normal usage you should get over 8 years life cycle
  • Wattage: 1.05W
  • Color: White

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
hackbike 666 said:
Doing great thanks but by what I can work out it's not as bright as the hope although it only uses just over 1 watt apparently.

I have noticed a decrease in pull-outs since I got the Hope,could be coincidence but I doubt it.
My near miss tonight came when I was filtering on the outside of the queuing traffic and a woman crossing the road between the cars walked out in front of me:ohmy: luckily I saw her in plenty of time and she said 'sorry':smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
just ordered one of these for £23 , 220 lumens

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=260517629626

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260517629626&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

CASING-6061 ALUMINIUM O'RING SEALED SWITCH END/LENS
WEATHERPROOF
SPECIAL LENS/REFLECTOR
REGULATED DRIVER CIRCUITRY
RUNS FROM 3 AAA BATTERIES (MAX INPUT 4.5V)
RUNTIME UP TO 4 HOURS (USING HIGH CAP RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES)
SUPPLIED WITH A NICE SECURE BRACKET WHICH WILL FIT BARS UP TO 26mm AND 3AAA BATTERIES TO GET YOU STARTED
YOU ARE BUYING FROM A VERY EXPERIENCED ON/OFF ROAD CYCLIST ALL LIGHTS HAVE BEEN TRAILED BY MYSELF, CYCLE LIGHTS FOR CYCLISTS FROM A CYCLIST .
NEED BRACKET TO FIT BIGGER BARS? NO PROBLEM PLEASE ASK I CAN SUPPLY BRACKET TO FIT OVERSIZE BARS UPTO 31.8MM INSTEAD OF FLEXI BRACKET.

garrilla

hackbike 666 said:

• New generic MR16 White Light Bulb, 21 LED 1.05W
  • Replaces your current 12 volt halogen lights to save 95% of energy
  • Safe, efficient and saves energy
  • Eliminates color shifting
  • LEDs do not get hot over time
  • Illuminated by electrons movement in a semiconductor material
  • Low heat and lower power consumption
  • MR16 super bright 21 LED spot light
  • Average life; ~50,000 hours (40 times longer then standard incandescent. Under normal usage you should get over 8 years life cycle
  • Wattage: 1.05W
  • Color: White

what are you powering this from hackers?

potsy said:
I have noticed a decrease in pull-outs since I got the Hope,could be coincidence but I doubt it.
My near miss tonight came when I was filtering on the outside of the queuing traffic and a woman crossing the road between the cars walked out in front of me:ohmy: luckily I saw her in plenty of time and she said 'sorry':smile:

I find that normal with peds.I find you have to catch every movement when you are riding in traffic.

garrilla said:
what are you powering this from hackers?

A 4300mah battery taped+white tac to the top tube.

Same battery also powers 2x12 horns which were very succesful in warning peds at Moorgate tonight.Charged with a special charger,battery pack is a racing pack for toy cars I think.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Ay-Ups, left one about 3 metres in front, right one about 6 - 8 metres in front.
Nine miles of my commute is unlit rural b road s have to get as much coverage as possible.

Small isn't it cybernight?

I have a cree in my bag.

Then again in Bangkok I had two cars flash me when I had fitted my Fenix and I had to dip it.Lost it in the monsoon later on.It fell off of the handlebars.

300_10vp4300sc-h.jpg

My battery pack although I have changed the connector on mine.

gbb

Legendary Member
Can't remember what lumen output my twin Cree is, but it's aimed about 5 yards in front. I find there's enough spill to the front and rear to give enough light either way.
Here's something i've found useful...have the mount bracket just loose enough for you to be able to swivel the lamp. I find if i get an oncoming car using full beam, i 'nod' the lamp with my hand to give a flash to aforesaid car (which can be 1/2 a mile away). It usually works and they dip their lights.

jimboalee

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Doesn't it change depending on your speed and the conditions of the road. My lights are fitted to the bar so that they are firm but that if I give them a good nudge I can change the angle - faster sections pointing further away, pot hole sections - pointing about 2-3 m ahead.

just4fun

with my commuter MTB, I aim my light so that 20 yards in front of me i can light the numberplate + cars mirrors.
Before my 2nd light broke i also had one just for the road 2 meters ahead. this provided excellent illumination.

GrasB

Veteran
summerdays, if you've only got one light powerful enough to see with then that's the way to go. However with the combination of the smart & joystick I've got seeing illumination from about 1.5m to over 15m ahead with the joystick on high, that's enough to cover all the riding speeds I'll be doing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Good thread!

It makes me chuckle when someone starts a thread with a question that i've been asking myself for ages...makes me happy that I'm not the "only one", trying to figure it out.

I've been playing with the positioning of my twin Cat eye EL320's. I "currently" have the left hand one pointing for the horizon and the right is dipped slightly and facing ever so slightly into the right hand lane (ie straight at the on coming drivers eye level).

Although they are bright-ish, I dont get any complaints from oncoming drivers and so aim them where they will be most visable.

I am going to pick up a head light as well as I really think these make a huge difference (I spot them miles away on other riders) and they also add to the driver "eye contact" issue, there is no mistaking when you look at a driver when you have one of those on.

My commute is mostly around town with a little bit of "burb" riding so no real need to illuminate the road......I just want to be seen (I'm so vain:biggrin:)

Top Bottom