Where have the Altus shifters gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Last year I upgraded both of my kids’ bikes by replacing the Shimano RevoShift shifters with Altus M310 thumb/finger triggers. They both prefer the triggers and I had no trouble finding options to buy them.

I picked up a new bike for my son today which has the RevoShift shifters. Now I go looking for a set of Altus M310 3x7 shifters and there are none to be had. Can anyone suggest a secret supplier or someone I haven't thought of? I can find the left-hand shifter but not a pair. Plenty of 3x8 options but no 3x7 that I can find. It's almost like all kids' bikes have had the same upgrade over lockdown.

22point8

What about Microshift or Sunrace?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Good shout - I am unfamiliar with their offers and how they compare to the known-and-child-approved Shimano versions. I'll do some more research.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Install 3x8. The shift spacing is the same.
Useful input but sorry, my perfectionism won't allow it. :stop:

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have one, but not a set. I have the 7-speed in almost new condition. I'd be happy to sell it to you and will get some pictures if you're interested.
Thanks - I might get back to you. He already has the 7s right-hand one on his older bike. I had hoped to sell the bike with the shifter on but now I'm thinking if I can find the 3s left-hand shifter then I'll rob the 7s off of his older bike and sell it with the grip-shifts on it.

Still need to find a LH shifter though.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Ebay? Or a different one from the Shimano range if such exists?

They sell microshift which presumably means they are ok as a make

Or SRAM but you'll need a new rear mech presumably
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SRAM-X3-7-Speed-Trigger-Shifters_29782.htm
I'd hoped to stay Shimano (compatible) if possible, but it may become any port in a storm. He's actually doing OK with the grip-shift but I know he prefers the more 'grown-up' (and easier-to-use) trigger shifters.
Shimano do a combined brake and shift lever, which may be an option, plus I'll look at other compatible systems (Decathlon do one, for example). My original point was that when I did it last time I had a choice of places to source from, and it wasn't that long ago. Now I try to repeat that process and there's nothing.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd hoped to stay Shimano (compatible) if possible, but it may become any port in a storm. He's actually doing OK with the grip-shift but I know he prefers the more 'grown-up' (and easier-to-use) trigger shifters.
Shimano do a combined brake and shift lever, which may be an option, plus I'll look at other compatible systems (Decathlon do one, for example). My original point was that when I did it last time I had a choice of places to source from, and it wasn't that long ago. Now I try to repeat that process and there's nothing.
St John St Cycles are showing 7sp Altus in stock.:becool:

Top Bottom