Where is the serial # on my 1980s Specialized Hardrock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back around 1990, a friend gave me his virtually unused Specialized Hardrock bike and I've been riding it ever since.

Lately, here in Seattle, we're experiencing a spate of increasingly brazen bike thefts. Just the other day at a playground a 12-year-old girl was robbed of her bike at knife-point by a couple of men who tossed her bike into their pickup truck and drove off with it.

I'd like to register my bike at Bike Index, but I can't find where the serial number is.

Anyone know where I should look?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Usually under the bottom bracket shell (between the pedals).

OP
OP
Clueless in Seattle

Clueless in Seattle

Two of the digits in the serial number you helped me find are difficult to make out:
Specialized Hardrock Serial Number Illegible (cropped).jpg

The 4th characters appears to be a "9" and the first character appears to be the letter "G":
Specialized Hardrock Serial Number First Digit Illegible (cropped).jpg

If that's the case, then I get the serial #: G > 8 9 2 5 3 1

I tried contacting Specialized to confirm that that would be a valid serial number format, but after filling out their support form at https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform, and clicking "Submit" I got this error message " Could not submit the question. Please try again later or contact Rider Care. " So I called 1-877-808-8154 and got sent round-and-round in circles in a maze of menus that kept coming back to "Please visit our contact page on the web."

I'm trying to find out if Specialized Hardrock serial numbers from the 90s contained the letter "G" or if it could be a zero or a six.

What does it look like to you?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Top Bottom