Where is this cable supposed to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@User9609 you made me get up to check all my bikes' front derailleur cables!
They are supposed to loop up the way: in your case, under, behind and up, like it's done on my Genesis.
Are you going to clean that poor bike before replacing the cable? :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@User9609 you made me get up to check all my bikes' front derailleur cables!
They are supposed to loop up the way: in your case, under, behind and up, like it's done on my Genesis.
Are you going to clean that poor bike before replacing the cable? :whistle:

So under rather than over like in picture. I ask because my front deraillier has trouble getting to big ring. @Pat "5mph" Do you have a piccie of yours?

Pat "5mph"

So under rather than over like in picture. I ask because my front deraillier has trouble getting to big ring. @Pat "5mph" Do you have a piccie of yours?
Which one lol?
I have 4 bikes with a front derailleur.
Will take some pics tomorrow, because due to energy saving bulbs you can't see a thing in my flat after dark.
All my front derailleur cables come out from the derailleur "up", one is looped back to go under itself and up again so it doesn't touch the wheel - xsmall frame.

Pat "5mph"

[QUOTE 5537630, member: 9609"]picture would be good[/QUOTE]
Ok, I will try, flat is dark ^_^

Pat "5mph"

OkeyDokey:
Road bike:
IMG_20190215_205955080.jpg

Genesis: it's on a bike stand at the moment, the cable comes out at the other side of the frame, not at the derailleur side, but it's "up":
IMG_20190215_210100091.jpg
IMG_20190215_210146592.jpg

Pinnacle:
IMG_20190215_210318118.jpg

Old Mountain bike, now ice bike, that's why it's so dirty :blush:
IMG_20190215_210417711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_210417711.jpg
    IMG_20190215_210417711.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 19

Pat "5mph"

It's all wrong. The cable shouldn't wrap around the bolt (it's not an electrical cable). It goes in over the 'nub' correctly and then should pass straight out the front. About 15mm to 20mm of tail to it and a ferrule/end cap to finish off.
Aye, but @User9609's gears presumably work: my gears stop working if I use the wrong flavor of GT85 on them! :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5537787, member: 9609"]whats the cable clamp?

Is this what you are calling the NUB ? yes it needs to go over that to give it the leveridge (under it is all wrong)
But you would just keep the cable quite straight ? I seem to want to bend it all the way round but I guess its not necessary.
View attachment 452646

it's winter time, she's on the road a lot (1100 mile so far this year) oh-aye, it works for a living[/QUOTE]
The piece bent over, just below where the cable leaves the washer in your first picture.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Key thing is: the cable must go to the 'frame side' of the clamp bolt to achieve the best leverage - the angle is already rather acute in smallest chainring position. Where the cable ended 'tail end' goes above the clamp bolt doesn't matter, except you want to bend it so the crank/shoe doesn't touch it, in any FD position.

Top Bottom