Where to buy hubs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Probably getting a bit ahead of myself, havent built anything yet, but I’ve been looking online for hubs, and there doesn’t seem to b3 a lot of choice. Disc specific, through axle, Shimano freehub. I can find Novatec and Hope, but not much else. I like the look of Miche but Cycle Clinic are sold out.
Where do you go for Chosen, Powerway, Bitex, Shimano?

si_c

Guru
SJS cycles have a lot of them in-stock, what hubs do you have?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
My first build will be a rebullient of some Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels. I’ve been unable to identify the hube but that’s not too much of an issue as I can measure them accurately enough.

I'm just window shopping for the next build. I like Hope but not so keen on the cost.

si_c

Guru
Shimano R7000 hubs should do fine, I'd have gone for the RS-505-CL if on a quick release.

Edit: rear hub is FH-R7070 and front is HB-R7070 for part numbers.

Not worth paying a premium for fancy hubs, as long as they run smooth and have replacement bearings they will be fine. Put the extra into better rims is money better spent.
Agree times several.
Tho you are forgetting that some folks on here have an interest in hubs that goes way beyond the engineering to the positively sexual. Some folks i am sure have fevered dreams in which they are the little leather strap constantly caressing their hub of choice.

For me, mr shimanos efforts with ball bearings, properly maintained, are just fine and dandy.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Just to offer a counter opinion... personally I prefer sealed bearings to Shimano's cup/cone/loose ball hubs (although I've serviced many of the later over the years). If the axle is the tiniest bit bent you can never get perfect adjustment - it goes straight from small but annoying amount of play (which I can feel through the bars) to the faintest of graunching which will kill the balls in short order.
Mind you, it's also possible to turns the balls in a sealed bearing freehub into fragment by overtightening the QR - DAMHIKT !

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Something with a forged shell is worth seeking out. Small manufacturers of boutique hubs may just CNC machine from billet alloy. The flanges will not be as strong as is possible with forging and broken flanges are A Thing.

Gunk

Guru
Agree times several.
Tho you are forgetting that some folks on here have an interest in hubs that goes way beyond the engineering to the positively sexual.

I agree, I have a lovely pair of NOS 15 year old Campagnolo Chorus hubs in a box waiting for a suitable project.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Something with a forged shell is worth seeking out. Small manufacturers of boutique hubs may just CNC machine from billet alloy. The flanges will not be as strong as is possible with forging and broken flanges are A Thing.

I don’t agree with this. Problems used to arise when front wheels were built with radial lacing using hubs that weren't designed for for that pattern. Just not enough material around the spoke hole. I've can't ever recall seeing a broken hub flange for many years.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I broke a Goldtec a few years ago. Road salt didn't help but it only lasted a couple of winters before about four spokes (x3 tangential) pulled part of the flange off. They are machined from billet.

Goldtec just offered a free wheelbuild if I paid full price for a new hub. No thanks.

Top Bottom