Where to go for a short tour? Ideas please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

minininjarob

I've got some days off coming up and was thinking about doing a tour setting off from my home in Huddersfield. I like the idea of riding to somewhere and getting the train back 3 days later OR taking the train to somewhere and riding home.

Ideas I have had are riding to Birmingham or Nottingham and train home or maybe going North by train and riding home.

I like the Sustrans paths for easy navigation but don't mind riding on the roads too.

I'd probably be staying in B+B's cos I'm lazy and I like a comfy bed!

Any ideas?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Perhaps reconsider Sustrans routes being easy to navigate.

How about go onto cycle.travel for some ideas of your area. Look up Huddersfield. Kamoot do similar idea starters.

Or a coast to coast?

OP
OP
minininjarob

minininjarob

Perhaps reconsider Sustrans routes being easy to navigate.

How about go onto cycle.travel for some ideas of your area. Look up Huddersfield. Kamoot do similar idea starters.

Or a coast to coast?

I've used a lot of Sustrans routes and I like them.

Done both Sustrans C2C's, the Way Of The Roses was amazing IMHO.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about the West Yorkshire Cycle Route (detailed route HERE)? You can get on and off it very easily from Huddersfield so that will save you rail fares.

You should be able to pick up the detailed information leaflet (which includes a map) free from your local tourist information centre.

It would be 160-165 miles including riding in and out of Huddersfield so ideal for 3 days of cycling. About 1/3 of it is hilly, 1/3 undulating and 1/3 almost flat. If you rode it clockwise from home you would get the hardest bits done on the first day when your legs were fresh and then it would get easier.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
I would go North - less populated so less traffic. Also more scenic.

Are there any routes focussing on the Leeds - Liverpool canal?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There's always the Trans Pennine Trail, from Huddersfield you could head South to Chesterfield, or East to Hornsea, but wouldn't recommend going west, unless you like the rough stuff :blush:

OP
OP
minininjarob

minininjarob

How about the West Yorkshire Cycle Route (detailed route HERE)? You can get on and off it very easily from Huddersfield so that will save you rail fares.

You should be able to pick up the detailed information leaflet (which includes a map) free from your local tourist information centre.

It would be 160-165 miles including riding in and out of Huddersfield so ideal for 3 days of cycling. About 1/3 of it is hilly, 1/3 undulating and 1/3 almost flat. If you rode it clockwise from home you would get the hardest bits done on the first day when your legs were fresh and then it would get easier.

I had forgotten about that one, thanks for reminding me. I remember looking at it a couple of years ago. Might be fun!

OP
OP
minininjarob

minininjarob

I would go North - less populated so less traffic. Also more scenic.

Are there any routes focussing on the Leeds - Liverpool canal?

South is Peak District so shouldn’t be dull - but will be hilly!

Done a fair bit of the Leeds Liverpool but it’s a bit dull in parts and westwards you really need an MTB for a lot of it from Bingley.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you are prepared to train it each way, the Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route is a 146 mile hilly in places ride, so about right for three days.

I've done bits of it and always found the riding excellent - quiet roads and plenty of variation in the scenery.

You even get some coastal action, well, Bridlington, but it would still be a treat for a land-locked resident of Huddersfield.

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com/route

MarkF

Guru
Just cycle up into the Dales (it's gorgeous & on your doorstep) then head back down to Gargrave via Malham and take the most beautiful (& well surfaced) part of the canal back to Leeds taking in Saltaire, a world heritage site, on your way. I'll buy you a pint.:okay:

454c4b86fcdae59a5c99a7b84b09fc33.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom