Where to secure the drink holder?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Tony Sutton, 26 Jul 2012.

1. Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton Active Member

This is my bike - see attached file.

Question: Where do I secure the drink holder? I'm fed up with having to stop and remove my backpack just to get a drink.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. That's going to be tricky.

Many mountain bike riders use a 'hydration backpack', something like this. If you're riding flat-out downhill off-road, you won't have time to reach for a bottle cage.

If you're not riding flat-out downhill.... you may have the wrong bike.

3. OP
    OP
    Tony Sutton

I only got the bike for £20 as a way to keep myself fit so I'm just using it for anywhere really... no downhill racing. :smile:

Maybe some sort of tie cable to secure it down on the frame? Does a drink holder for handle bar exists?

Thanks.

4. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

cable tie/clue a bottle holder mount onto the horizontal section of the Y frame may want to put a little wedge at the front to help raise the front of the bottle holder up.

5. compo

compo Veteran

6. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

May I suggest this?

pdw-barista-holder-med.jpg
    £11.99 on Wiggle

Actually, I have these - they're about £2.99 from Halfords and do the job:

[​IMG]

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_163286_langId_-1_categoryId_165633

They do scratch, so put something underneath like a bit of old inner tube.

7. If you're still on a tight budget, something to clamp a bottle cage around that main frame tube might be the best answer. Or, as that's an awkward shape, perhaps the little short tube where it says "Showdown". Jubilee clips, perhaps - clips designed for ordinary bike frame tubes are likely to be too short, and cable ties not stiff or strong enough. Miss T is right, though - if you care about the frame, put some old inner tube or a couple of layers of insulting tape around the frame before you put the clips round.

8. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

9. OP
    OP
    Tony Sutton

I like... but the seat post is already full with the D lock holder, mudguard and soon, a "bumbag" to hold the tools.

Still, thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    Tony Sutton

That's actually very useful! I will investigate further. I hope it's long enough to go round the thick frame - how long are they?

Not bothered if it scratches... the bike is pretty old and has lots of scratches anyway. :biggrin:

11. MrJamie

MrJamie Oaf on a Bike

12. OP
    OP
    Tony Sutton

The last two are perfect - thanks MrJamie!!

13. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

They are long enough to go around a drainpipe by my estimation, so a bike frame should pose no problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice