Where to start (total noob)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Hi, looking for some advice!

Im quite happy riding 10 miles, but once I get past 15 I start to struggle. My longest single ride is 31 miles, folowed the next day by a 22 mile ride - which I took quite slowly and for the most part was easy....but only because I was going slow.

Today though, I rode 18 miles from work to home (an alternative route) for the most part I was going as quickly as I could, probably in the end averaged about 15mp, which I know is not exactly speedy, but a good 5 miles of that was in the city, with lots of stop/starts.

My question is.... What's the best options for food and drink on the go? In the above 18mile ride I had a single bottle, which was filed wilth orange squash. Is it worth drinking/or even eating something while I'm pushing myself. I know there's a lot of energy drinks/food, but I know nothing about these, what's good what's bad etc...

Any advice?

Klaus

The food and drink consideration is very personal to every rider.
On Sunday I did 40 miles with about 350 metres climbs in total - avg speed 10 mph !!
I had porridge and coffee in the morning, took a bottle of energy drink & water, plus two bananas.
Expected to stop for lunch as my metabolism works by the clock - however didn't feel like lunch at all,
the bananas and drink were enough. Back home I had a cup of tea & biscuits, then dinner at 8pm, as the family was out.
I felt I did much better than expected on the food front.
For your ride home I would recommend maybe a banana for extra energy.
BTW, even on this ride at about 20 miles I think I couldn't do it anymore but then applied "mind over matter".
You are doing well though judging by the distances you are covering.

PS. for energy drink I use SIS sportsfuel, carbs & electrolytes, made up from powder. But there are many options - many just use water with some squash or orange juice, again very much personal preference.

OP
OP
M

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
I thought I said this in the above...but I didn't :smile:The 18miles that I did at pace (for me) was pretty hard work, much harder than the 30 miles in did a few week back. Personally speaking I want to get faster and stronger, and I don't want to knacker myself to the point that I might give up. I also never eat breakfast (I have no appetite in the mornings) but I suspect I should make an attempt to force something down. But I'll pick up some bars/energy drinks.... Is it possible to eat/drink too much when out on a bike, can you overdo it with them?

I would be cautious of getting into energy drinks and bars except for when you are doing that exceptional ride. Otherwise they become addictive in the sense that as soon as you do a ride without them it feels harder and slower so you tend to keep having to take them. Save them for that difficult competitive ride where a bit of a one off boost in performance helps.

As for the general problem, don't push so hard and get in some good steady paced miles. It will come but it does take time for your body to adapt. Keep your pace at one where your breathing is still easy. 15mph is not a bad average speed with that chunk in the city. For food and drink, I just take water or fruit juice for anything under about 30-40 miles and may take a banana, dried fruit or malt loaf with me for longer rides.

amaferanga

Veteran
But I'll pick up some bars/energy drinks.... Is it possible to eat/drink too much when out on a bike, can you overdo it with them?

Waste of time and money for an 18 mile ride - you just don't need them. If you're riding 18 miles as hard as you can then of course you will be tired at the end of it - a magic bar or gel isn't going to make any difference.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You dont even need a drink for 18 miles. I bought my bike on the Saturday then went out and cycled 26 mile on the Sunday with no provisions.

As for pushing hard, you will only be out for 90 mins max, 1 bottle of water would be plenty.

lulubel

Über Member
You dont even need a drink for 18 miles. I bought my bike on the Saturday then went out and cycled 26 mile on the Sunday with no provisions.

18 miles takes me over an hour. If I rode for over an hour without a drink, I'd be suffering from the effects of dehydration before the end of it.

OP
OP
M

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
18 miles takes me over an hour. If I rode for over an hour without a drink, I'd be suffering from the effects of dehydration before the end of it.

Yep - I could not cycle without a drink in that time. I think a lot depends on your personal fitness levels. Me personaly I dont belive Im that fit.

Regarding my question though, I think, judging by what people are saying I would be better off with some decent food a few hours before I leave, I think (and Iv not been doing it longe enough to know) that a decent porrage/fruit based something and a good drink would do me wonders. This something Iv not really been doing.

Im typicaly (on a work day) eating a salty sandwich (chicken and bacon) chand an apple at 12.30, I will then leave work at 6ish, and not eat untill I get back home a good hour later....then Im exhausted

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

What sort of temp are you riding in? You shouldnt be suffering from dehydration to the point its of any real concern within an hour unless the temperature is scorching.

calibanzwei

What sort of temp are you riding in? You shouldnt be suffering from dehydration to the point its of any real concern within an hour unless the temperature is scorching.

Personally I sweat, a lot. I'm 16stone and push fairly hard over 25miles in 90minutes on a hybrid so feel I need to hydrate at least 500ml during that run.

Horses for courses - drink if you feel the need :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There is a major over emphasis on hydration in endurance sports, "drink before you are thirsty" sound familiar? Put electolytes in your water etc, all that bollocks.

In events under 60 mins the chances are (unless in extreme heat or other extenuating circumstances), your performance will be most likely be reduced moreso by water sloshing around etc from forced over ingestion caused by this silly notion of "drinking before you are thirsty" than the minor dehydration you would experience should you skip the fluids. Disagree with this? Fair enough, but I think I'd tend toward the advice of established triathlon coaches such as Matt Fitzgerald (who is not afraid to throw out his old theories should new research become available) and Joe Friel combined with personal experience.

Drink, when you are thirsty, no its not too late, the feeling of thirst is a well evolved mechanism for telling you when you need hydration, you dont need to pre-empt this in events that are as short as 60 mins.

Its 18 miles, on a bike, not an ironman! If any hydration is required 500ml of water should more than suffice.

lulubel

Über Member

It was just about hitting 30 degrees by the time I got back from my ride this morning. However, I still need to drink when it isn't that hot - just not as much. If you're sweating, you're losing fluids, and it makes sense to replace them as you lose them rather than to wait until you become dehydrated, and then have something to drink.

jay clock

Massive member
Robert clearly has one view. I disagree with it. I take water or High5 Zero on any ride over about 45 mins. Nice to have sip once in a while. If you don't have it you can't drink it. I take some water on a 10 mile TT and in an Ironman bike ride I get through gallons of sports drink. (about 5-6 bottles)

So Mushroomgodmat, tkae something to drink, perhaps a snack, build up mileages slowly, and enjoy yourself

Top Bottom