Where will the Tour de France finish in future...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just spotted this HERE on the Guardian website...

Guardian article said:
The mayor of Paris has said a €250m (£225m) makeover of the Champs-Élysées will go ahead, though the ambitious transformation will not happen before the French capital hosts the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Anne Hidalgo said the work, unveiled in 2019 by local community leaders and businesses, would turn the 1.9-km (1.2-mile) stretch of central Paris into “an extraordinary garden”.

The Champs-Élysées committee has been campaigning for a major redesign of the avenue and its surroundings since 2018.

“The legendary avenue has lost its splendour during the last 30 years. It has been progressively abandoned by Parisians and has been hit by several successive crises: the gilets jaunes, strikes, health and economic,” the committee said in a statement welcoming Hidalgo’s announcement.

“It’s often called the world’s most beautiful avenue, but those of us who work here every day are not at all sure about that,” Jean-Noël Reinhardt, the committee president said in 2019. “The Champs-Élysées has more and more visitors and big name businesses battle to be on it, but to French people it’s looking worn out.”
It sounds like a nice idea, but it will mess up the usual TdF sprint finish! :sad:

Where will it be moved to?

Adam4868

Guru
I'd be more than happy to have a final day TT....maybe with the finish in Montmatra.😁

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Although I've visited Paris several times for leisure and worked there for a couple of months in the 90s, I've never actually been to the Champs Elysées or the Arc de Triomphe so I'm not really familiar with it other than seeing it on TV.

Would it necessarily mess up the finish? Maybe the new design will accommodate sporting use like the Tour, the Paris Marathon etc.
It certainly sounds like the wide roads up to and down from the Arc de Triomphe will no longer be there...

Anyway, this will be in 4 or 5 years time so that gives them plenty of time to think about it!

Not a fan of Paris or really that area of France so no great loss^_^ Never found Parisians that friendly towards the English

steverob

Guru
I understand there are already segregated cycle lanes up and down the Champs Elysees, although it's only separated by a small kerb that's about 2-3 cm tall. But that would mean the breakaway riders on the final stage wouldn't easily be able to use the gutter any more to avoid the cobbles like they always have done in the past.

steverob

Guru
Not a fan of Paris or really that area of France so no great loss^_^ Never found Parisians that friendly towards the English
According to my French teacher at school (going back a bit to be fair), she said that even the rest of France think that Parisians are rude, so I don't think it's got anything to do with the English per se - they just are snooty to everyone!

According to my French teacher at school (going back a bit to be fair), she said that even the rest of France think that Parisians are rude, so I don't think it's got anything to do with the English per se - they just are snooty to everyone!
Did they not try to improve the rudeness of Parisians towards tourists at one point or am I remembering wrongly. Also to improve personal hygiene? Not sure they had discovered Lynx Africa when I was there xx( ....ah well

SWSteve

Guru
I just spotted this HERE on the Guardian website...

It sounds like a nice idea, but it will mess up the usual TdF sprint finish! :sad:

Where will it be moved to?
Are they suggesting that a Hard Rock Cafe isn’t haute couture for Parisians?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Never found Parisians to be friendly to anyone
My newly-wed sister visited Paris with her husband. They went out for a romantic meal and hubby made a brave attempt to order in French...

The waiter glared at him with scornful contempt for about 20 seconds before snorting and saying...

"Monsieur, per'aps eet wud be eeeasieurrr if zee ord'red in Eeeengleeesh?"

They were not impressed with his attitude!

Later on their honeymoon they were in a small village elsewhere in France and got chatting to a nice old Frenchman. He asked if they were enjoying their stay in the country? They said that they loved it, apart from Paris. They told him the story and he became very angry. Apparently, he had been treated like a thick peasant when he had visited there!

I went to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers many years again at Paris St Germain Stadium. I had flown in from from Italy working and had an Italia T-Shirt under my coat. A french bouncer/security grabbed me by shirt and began ranting in french and prodding at t-shirt. Food van also refused to serve me and claimed ‘no understand’ It was a horrible place, horrid people and never returned other than a few times to work. Even then I have little time or interest in the French...... oooo a Brexit positive :laugh:

dodgy

Paris is like London when viewed by the disdainful comments on forums. Lots of brits have bad things to say about london[ers] just like French do about Paris and Parisians.

having learned enough French to get by I’ve never had a single problem.

Reactions: mjr
I’ve visited once, had a great time, rode a little along the Champs Elysee, and along the Seine.
Didn’t choose to eat at any restaurant, preferring to eat on the train to Rouen.
I would go there again, and do the same again, and I think the greening would be a wonderful thing, as it would in in city.
Applause for La France, and the mayor of Paris.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom