Where would you recommend cycling in Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chester to Dorchester but we are not sure about all the roads, we were not very dab handed with the computer. Cack-handed more like.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29620586
OK I've looked at the route you've traced and feel sure that the Porthmadof-Swansea route suggestion I made will be fine. When she rode Chester to Dorchester she used loads of A roads (including some dual-carriageway eg A49 and A417) so the north and mid-Wales main roads will be peaceful in comparison. You can see the line of the lon_las_cymru which perforce is similar south of Porthmadog (though I've explained the attraction of the Tywyn peninsula), but after Machynlleth it heads for Cardiff, whereas your destination is Swansea. Could follow NCN8 to Buith Wells and then due south over the hills to Brecon, and then various options across the Black Mountain range, driven by which valley you want to follow down to Swansea.
Important to remember that this route is for riding in a day so minimal faffing around on minor roads and well-surfaced ex-railway lines (unless they are 'on line'). (So for example south from Caernarfon the NCN8 off-road path is excellent, and so is the path up from Talybont crossing the Brecon Beacons, but the route for which advice is being asked is south from Porthmadog and heading for Swansea (so Talybont is 'off-route).)

suzeworld

Veteran
Brilliant, we are setting off for Wales tomorrow for a week in Portmaddog doing things we are used to and then Brigid will be doing her ride to Swanse next Saturday, so she has time to mull over your suggestions. We really appreciate your time and the links too, for future use.

Plotting her route to Dorch was pretty random cos she didn't know much of it south of Ironbridge! When she had her nosebleed another cyclist stopped and tried to help. He gave her a bit of advice on what she was planning just there, but otherwise she was not particularly advised.

Mainly these longer rides back to back are all about her training for entering the 24 hour event this year, so getting her head down and getting on is pretty much it, though obviously a bit of decent scenery is always a bonus. Our nephew lives in Swansea, hence she is cycling there rather than home, which is what she did last year! I will be driving.

Livi

Regular
If you like off road the Trans Cambrian Way is a great long weekend outing.

I was looking at doing this last year but it seems pretty full on/brutal for one weekend. There’s another cool route listed on bikepacking.com around the gower peninsula off-road which is possibly a little more accessible for less experienced mountain bikers - https://bikepacking.com/routes/gower-bikepacking-loop/

Did it in November with a literally freezing night on the beach...

Attachments

• 77A16B2E-39AE-4229-ACDB-0A48FC0CDC85.jpeg
    77A16B2E-39AE-4229-ACDB-0A48FC0CDC85.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom