Where's the best place(s) to live?

domtyler

Über Member
I am kind of resigned to being stuck working in London for the foreseeable future due to a lack of big financial corporations in other areas of the country.

I feel quite sad that this means I will never get to know different parts of the country, or indeed the world.

If I could, I'd love to try somewhere new, like Yorkshire or Devon/Cornwall maybe. Where is the best place to live and work?
 

walker

New Member
Location
Bromley, Kent
Peckham, something new happens there everyday and you get plenty of exercise running away from muggers.
 
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
walker said:
Peckham, something new happens there everyday and you get plenty of exercise running away from muggers.
Nah, one it's still in London, two I used to live there many years ago, in Nunhead lane. Not a bad area.
 

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Slight (major!) aside. There was a house in No Place, Co. Durham called Ennafay (NFA)
My choice would be Cornwall, follow the sun, that's why I moved to Durham from Redditch.
As cities go, Gloucester is v. nice.
 

TheDoctor

Resistance is futile!
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
I've had mates at uni in York and Manchester, and both of them seemed quite nice. This was about 20 years back, mind. Manchester seemed good still when I had a summer school there about a decade back, as did Norwich. I've not been to York for a while now, though I plan to go soon.
North Wales I'm very fond of. Been going quite often all my life really - I have rellies around Conway and Bangor.
 

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Location
Suffolk.
Anywhere in the countryside !! Sleepy Suffolk is not bad although late in 2006 there are many who would not agree with that.
 
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
TheDoctor said:
I've had mates at uni in York and Manchester, and both of them seemed quite nice. This was about 20 years back, mind. Manchester seemed good still when I had a summer school there about a decade back, as did Norwich. I've not been to York for a while now, though I plan to go soon.
North Wales I'm very fond of. Been going quite often all my life really - I have rellies around Conway and Bangor.
North Wales? Isn't it crawling with Sheep Shaggers?
 

02GF74

Über Member
I would say Cyprus - loads of dirt track to cycle over or Spain if you don't mine the foreign lingo.

In UK it owld need to be in the south for the better whether, Bucks/Surrey/Sussey if you want to say close to London or else over to the west - devonshire and cornwallshire.
 

TheDoctor

Resistance is futile!
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
domtyler said:
North Wales? Isn't it crawling with Sheep Shaggers?
No, I was nowhere near Llangollen.
 

TheDoctor

Resistance is futile!
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
Ooh - another one I thought of.
Cape Clear Island, County Cork. Population 120 or so. As far from the rat race as it gets.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
domtyler said:
I am kind of resigned to being stuck working in London for the foreseeable future due to a lack of big financial corporations in other areas of the country.

I feel quite sad that this means I will never get to know different parts of the country, or indeed the world.

If I could, I'd love to try somewhere new, like Yorkshire or Devon/Cornwall maybe. Where is the best place to live and work?
That is indeed very sad, to feel so constrained for the rest of your life by a job....

York's lovely, I'd live here for the rest of my life, unless I had a reason to move, which would probably be some sort of family or love thing.

I'd also quite like to try island life - Orkney is my only experience of that sort of thing, and I'd happily live there.
 

radger

Über Member
Location
Bristol
TheDoctor said:
Ooh - another one I thought of.
Cape Clear Island, County Cork. Population 120 or so. As far from the rat race as it gets.
I'd make a comment about the weather in West Cork, except I lived on Sherkin Island for a few months, and we had fantastic weather while the UK was flooding.
 

TheDoctor

Resistance is futile!
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
radger said:
I'd make a comment about the weather in West Cork, except I lived on Sherkin Island for a few months, and we had fantastic weather while the UK was flooding.
What did you think of Sherkin? I've not been, though I have passed it a good number of times, on the way to Cape.
 
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
That is indeed very sad, to feel so constrained for the rest of your life by a job....

York's lovely, I'd live here for the rest of my life, unless I had a reason to move, which would probably be some sort of family or love thing.

I'd also quite like to try island life - Orkney is my only experience of that sort of thing, and I'd happily live there.
Yeah, it's shoot isn't it? I do have some plans though and if they work out things may change for the better :angry:

I guess I am not alone in being trapped in an area by work.
 
Top Bottom