Where's the transparency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
An interesting choice of phrase, in this context.

I've found 30 posts in which you mentioned "sugar" but only two (in this thread and rustysteeds) in which sugar and youtube appeared in the same post.

None of them have been deleted or unapproved (a slightly different mechanism although it has the same result).
Blimey Norm ...

I also think that the mods do a good job.
As for trust and context ... the context is that I am a member of good standing with a very positive history on this forum and as such I consider that I have earned trust. Okay, if I betray that trust at some point in the future - deal with that when it happens, but in the mean time, when I say trust me - trust me!

Getting back to my deleted post ... I can think of only 2 reasons why that particular post got deleted:

1. It was a bit off-topic.
  2. The moderator thought that I was maliciously trying to fill CycleChat members' heads with the Archies song.
Off-topic posts don't generally get killed without explanation here. I like the fact that threads on CC can meander on and off topic without excessive moderation. I've been on other forums where OT posts are ruthlessly culled and I don't enjoy spending time in those places.

A silly post about a stupid song should be allowed to live or die on its own merits. Nobody really cared. It wasn't important. What is important is that power is used wisely and whoever killed that post wasn't using their power wisely. Nobody was protected - there was nothing to be protected from, but one person was upset by that moderation - me!

Anyway, whether you think this topic is important or not isn't important. The new policy is coming and I agree with it, and then we won't have to have this discussion again.

ColinJ

PS I probably didn't mention the song title in the deleted post. If you want to search the records, try "head" or "mind" because I remember posting that I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head/mind.

Norm

Anyway, whether you think this topic is important or not isn't important. The new policy is coming and I agree with it, and then we won't have to have this discussion again.
You seem to have missed that I thought it was important enough to have spent part of a Saturday morning searching for and reading through 30 posts of yours to try and find one which was deleted.

And
Off-topic posts don't generally get killed without explanation here. I like the fact that threads on CC can meander on and off topic without excessive moderation. I've been on other forums where OT posts are ruthlessly culled and I don't enjoy spending time in those places.
Which is exactly why it is important (to me) to see if we can find the post.

Norm

Hmm... there are 229 of your posts with "head" and 267 with the word "mind" in them, so I'm probably not going to search all of those. :biggrin:

There's only 4 with song and head and 3 with song and mind, six with youtube and mind and three with youtube and head... and it's not any of them.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
lolcat-funny-picture-moderator12.jpg

Shaun

Founder
I've queried the database and can't find anything specific - at least in terms of an individual post - however, it's possible that the thread was "soft" deleted - so isn't going to show up on an individual post.

I'm not going to spend the afternoon reviewing them all, but I do trust that your post was removed Colin and I trust that there will have been a valid reason for it.

Moving forward, we are going to change how we manage content and we will look at communication as a part of that - but I am not going to ask the Support Team to justify the minutiae of every decision they make - there isn't enough time in the day, and we need a balanced approach that works for most occasions - which is pretty much what we have at the moment.

I'm not saying it can't be improved upon, but not at the cost of the Support Team having no free time to enjoy the forums like everyone else.

I agree it is polite to inform people and we'll try to do that as often as we can.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

ColinJ

Norm - thanks for your efforts. I've just been for a walk and was thinking about it and I thought that it was daft to be taking up your time with this.

I was irritated by that post being deleted without any hint of why, but these things happen from time to time.

I appreciate the work of the Mods and I like this forum. In future, we will be notified about post moderation and if something happens again that I don't like, I'll raise the matter then!

ColinJ

I've queried the database and can't find anything specific - at least in terms of an individual post - however, it's possible that the thread was "soft" deleted - so isn't going to show up on an individual post.

I'm not going to spend the afternoon reviewing them all, but I do trust that your post was removed Colin and I trust that there will have been a valid reason for it.

Moving forward, we are going to change how we manage content and we will look at communication as a part of that - but I am not going to ask the Support Team to justify the minutiae of every decision they make - there isn't enough time in the day, and we need a balanced approach that works for most occasions - which is pretty much what we have at the moment.

I'm not saying it can't be improved upon, but not at the cost of the Support Team having no free time to enjoy the forums like everyone else.

I agree it is polite to inform people and we'll try to do that as often as we can.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:
I posted at the same time as you Shaun.

I'm pretty certain that my post disappeared with at least one other, but the rest of the thread remained. It may have been that I had quoted the other post which was deleted, I can't remember. No, don't waste any more time on this.

Thanks everybody - shall we move on! :thumbsup:

Norm

Thanks everybody - shall we move on! :thumbsup:
Indeed, although I think that you (and Shaun) might have something as a post which quotes another which gets deleted (for whatever reason) often also gets "cleaned" up.

Noodley

Oh diddums did someone upset the OP?

How about public information is displayed to show other members if a member has been warned or had stuff modded? Then it would be obvious to everyone who the real twats are? Or Mods could attach "badges" to profiles e.g 'sexist' 'racist' 'know it all - but ignore them they know feck all' 'whiny prat' 'etc'

I am not a Mod btw. :tongue: I gave it up since it took so much time sorting out twats with fragile egos and not being able to tell them what I really thought - I did not feel I could be as open, as for me being a Mod involved some degree of self-restraint. So now you'll hear what I think...lucky you! :laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh diddums did someone upset the OP?

How about public information is displayed to show other members if a member has been warned or had stuff modded? Then it would be obvious to everyone who the real twats are? Or Mods could attach "badges" to profiles e.g 'sexist' 'racist' 'know it all - but ignore them they know feck all' 'whiny prat' 'etc'

I am not a Mod btw. :tongue: I gave it up since it took so much time sorting out twats with fragile egos and not being able to tell them what I really thought - I did not feel I could be as open, as for me being a Mod involved some degree of self-restraint. So now you'll hear what I think...lucky you! :laugh:

I like your reasoning Noodles!!! Perhaps we could have that in the next iteration of the board software.
*puts on Parka, fires up Vespa*

ColinJ

Ah - I spotted the change in 'style' and wondered what was behind it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom