Where's the transparency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
It was decided months ago, and is, in the main part, dictated by what we can and cannot do in the new software; but is also something I personally want to try as well.

Moderators are called "staff" in the new software and that status is used for all sorts of permission granting, management tools, etc. in the background that cannot be turned off; hence the moderators will have to go public.

But I want that to be a positive move. The main part of the role will be to help and support people in their use of the site and so I chose Support Team as a positive way of reflecting that.

The reminder system is new, and will work in tandem with how we currently manage the site. It offers a more structured way of approaching inappropriate conduct and content, but won't always be used - if we can resolve things will a simple "shout out" on a thread, or by PM to those we feel would be receptive to a personal approach, then that would be preferable.

The less agro for everyone, the better. :biggrin:

CycleChat has grown considerably in the last few years and it helps to review things from time to time to see if they can be done differently/better. Hopefully this will be a change for the better.

Considering we all have work/family duties too, I don't think we do a bad job. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Thanks.

Obviously there's still the world domination plan to consider, but I'm keeping those close to my chest for now!!

Mwwwgghhahahahahahah ...

(Aside: Typing that just brought up a mental picture of Doctor Evil asking for ... one ... miiiillliiooon ... pounds!!) :laugh:

TVC

Thanks.

Obviously there's still the world domination plan to consider, but I'm keeping those close to my chest for now!!

Mwwwgghhahahahahahah ...

(Aside: Typing that just brought up a mental picture of Doctor Evil asking for ... one ... miiiillliiooon ... pounds!!) :laugh:

Who gets to be Mini Me?

Appreciating your hard work Shaun. Thanks
thumbsup.png

I think the real issue for me isn't whether we know who the mods are, it's how the mods, or others, deal with someone behaving out of line.

Since using this forum I can't think of an example where someone was pulled up for something without adequate explanation given. The reasons are explained for why, if that's the case, someone has been removed and poor comments are also dealt with according to the same principle. Therein lies the accountability, when reasons are given and transparent because the explanations appear in viewable posts.

Compared with some forums I've used, I think the mods do a good job.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never bothered about how it's moderated, but then that's a sign of a sensible set of people using the forum and a well run forum... thanks Shaun and anyone who helps him as a Moderator.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the real issue for me isn't whether we know who the mods are, it's how the mods, or others, deal with someone behaving out of line.

Since using this forum I can't think of an example where someone was pulled up for something without adequate explanation given. The reasons are explained for why, if that's the case, someone has been removed and poor comments are also dealt with according to the same principle. Therein lies the accountability, when reasons are given and transparent because the explanations appear in viewable posts.

Compared with some forums I've used, I think the mods do a good job.
I also think that the mods do a good job.

Having said that, as I mentioned in a similar thread recently - I have had a couple of posts deleted without warning and without explanation. If you take a look at my 7,000+ posts, you will see that I am about as inoffensive and mild-mannered a poster as they come so I was pretty shocked when that happened. It made me feel like a naughty schoolboy having his wrist slapped. I didn't like it.

I'm glad that the new moderation scheme will be more transparent and that some kind of message will be sent every time a post is moderated.

Norm

Having said that, as I mentioned in a similar thread recently - I have had a couple of posts deleted without warning and without explanation.
And, as was mentioned in that thread, do you have any more information? What threads, when etc?

Posts do not, as a rule, get deleted and there is usually much hand-wringing and discussion before anything is removed (unless it's a pic of a dead body, there's not much discussion needed for that). I don't remember anything involving any of your posts, though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Having been a mod (a long time ago), I can confirm that it is a pretty thankless job. Even offering your services in public as a moderator (as I once later did) opens you up to all kinds of attacks and abuse - even from the odd person who turns out to be a moderator! So, I'm all for transparency in the real world of politics, but I am not so sure in these micro-worlds of online forums. I will be interested to see how it goes.

Oh, and thank-you to all the moderators and above all, to Shaun, who in general keep this place, by some distance one, one of the more pleasant online forums around.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And IF any of Colins posts were deleted they would have been soft deleted, ie still be on the system for admin and mods to see. As Norm said. Please give us examples.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And, as was mentioned in that thread, do you have any more information? What threads, when etc?
And as I did mention in that thread (flipping heck!) - one specific case was where I posted a YouTube video of the Archies single Sugar Sugar with a jokey remark about it being stuck in my head for weeks.

I can't search for my post because it has been deleted!

Sorry, I can't remember the date or what the rest of the thread was about - my memory isn't that perfect. Trust me, it happened, no explanation, I didn't like it - end of.

Norm

Trust me...
An interesting choice of phrase, in this context.

I've found 30 posts in which you mentioned "sugar" but only two (in this thread and rustysteeds) in which sugar and youtube appeared in the same post.

None of them have been deleted or unapproved (a slightly different mechanism although it has the same result).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom