Can we have a discussion about unhelpful comments in the classifieds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been a member of this forum for many years now. I have noticed that recently, a lot of people are commenting on the classifieds in a very unhelpful way.

I put an advert up in the classifieds and two people commented suggesting my ideas about price were unrealistic - the first was to "manage my expectations", and the second was just jumping on the bandwagon even though neither had anything to sell to me.

I notice there is another thread for sale thread about a Brooks saddle with comments from two regulars that the item was overpriced/in bad condition. It's fair enough to contact someone privately and make a lower offer, but if you aren't selling or buying it seems very unfair to make a comment designed to put other people off contacting you.

I can't understand what these people are hoping to gain by knocking people that want to sell or buy. It's fine by me, really - I can afford to buy stuff new if I want - but surely it's between a buyer and seller to determine a price, rather than a forum "expert"? People are not stupid. It is extremely easy to search the price that an item fetches on eBay.

I've bought and sold many things on this forum over the years but I'm just starting to get bored with the process now.

Slick

Guru
I haven't seen the comments you mention, but I have seen similar in plenty threads. I reckon it comes down to the fact you are posting on a forum and maybe need to get over the fact that not everyone can hold their water or agree with you. If people are put off by the comments of others, were probably never that serious anyway.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I don't think I am one of the people you refer to but on a chat site I feel its reasonable to comment .

I have recently done that when another poster put a bike up for sale; the comments also have the effect of putting your ad at the top of the recent post list, increasing visibility.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How much as you selling the naughty step for, and has it had much use?
It is worn out, but I am open to offers over £10k. If there are no reasonable offers, it will go to the bay***.

*** Morecambe - I'll dump it out on the sands when the tide is out! :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I rather enjoyed this selling a £3000 Canyon thread from @Polocini (no longer OTP it seems)
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fs-brand-new-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-disc-9-0.255127/
I think it's very bad form to comment adversely on a price asked, but entirely within CycleChat philosophy (albeit agin de rulz) to say what a bargain something is.
I have just reviewed all the comments I've made in Classified For Sale over the last 3 years (a good proportion buying advertised item) and consider I respect the rules ("respect" in the French sense, ie not slavishly obey) and otherwise am a 'helpful engine'.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Australian film, The Castle probably >30 years ago before internet where the running joke was that the teenage son would read out some item for sale in the local version of Exchange and Mart and the dad would reply "tell him he"s dreaming son"

Top Bottom