Can we have a discussion about unhelpful comments in the classifieds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Yeah, thanks everyone with special thanks to the mods. I have been a moderator in the past and it is a completely thankless job. I will bear it in mind next time I try to buy and/or sell.

I'm trying not to sound humourless although I accept I'm probably failing!

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest I can see where Chris is coming from.

If someone is selling a 60cm bike what is the point of someone else telling the OP it is too big for them which often happens.

"If it was a 56 I would have snapped your hand off" being a common post and is just totally irrelevant because as the ad says it's a 60!!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP is not suggesting that, generally, comments upset them.
But the Classified sub-forum is there for a purpose: to find buyers for items. And it has specific rules to which the vast majority of Chatters adhere.
People commenting that x item is poor value for money or that the item looks in poor condition adds no value and is to the detriment of the sub-forum's purpose and may deter people from offering stuff for sale - see @kingrollo's recent Brooks saddle exasperation.
You may think your comment is fair, but you aren't the seller nor have you seen the item, nor it seems are you a potential buyer.
My grandfather's recommendation was to ask yourself: 'Is it true? Is it kind? Is it reasonable?' Any one 'no' - think it by all means, but probably better not saying.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
What do you do if someone is selling something not as described. Is it ok to comment then to save someone buying something that isn’t what it purports to be or paying too much.

From my era describing something as Super a record when it is the cheaper Nuovo record for example.

Jameshow

Veteran
I would only comment if it were a nice bike, good price or if someone was being deceitful.

I don't think saying nice bike, sadly the wrong size for me - GLWS is an issue?!

Ajax Bay

Guru
What do you do if someone is selling something not as described. Is it ok to comment then to save someone buying something that isn’t what it purports to be or paying too much.
From my era describing something as Super a record when it is the cheaper Nuovo record for example.
Offer them less, if you want to buy it.
Otherwise nix. You could click 'watch thread' and if someone is biting you can DM them with your expert advice (eg 'you do realise that the RD is Nuovo Record not SR').

Drago

Legendary Member
So poor old Spokey has had to delete unhelpful comments in a thread about unhelpful comments!

For my own part the For Sale section is the one place I stay out of. People trying to do a little business and unless I'm a buyer myself there's nothing I am likely to do that would facilitate a sale, so stay clear.

I've commented on a sales thread before. Someone selling the newer version of my recumbent. I deleted one comment because it mentioned price. The rest was about the pros and cons of the bike from the experience of someone who's got one. I made sure it was a positive comment and the bonus was I bumped it up the new threads list a bit that is imho a positive comment and OK.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I sell on the internet and i have numerous comments whinging and moaning about the price, or the way i've worded things, asking questions about things i have already stated and im always glad when they don't buy as they are the ones that will look to return because the shade of silver is not the shade they thought it was.... :banghead: It is actually rare to get contacted by a potential customer who has a decent question to ask.

Top Bottom