Whey powder and Protein Help ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grayduff

Über Member
Have read googled looked and talked about, it has been said and recommended that JUST a glass of milk and a poached egg are not quiet good enough for recovery and a good supplement such as whey powder will help my old bones repair after a long intensive ride or a tough turbo session.

I am sure that as always on this forum someone can recommend a good WHEY powder supplement for me to try at a good (low) price that is..

Thanks

arch684

Veteran
try MY PROTEIN . com

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I go with a pre-ride bevvie of home made sweet & salty squash and a post ride chocolate milkshake (Nesquik - for added vitamin B, protein & carb) and 40-50g of peanuts (very cheap when bought in big-bags). Haven't tried any of these crazy-shakes - was almost tempted, but then I met this bodybuilder type of a guy and he just said it's all a massive con and to just modify my diet. Looking at the fella, I had no reason to doubt him and that's me done ^_^

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Not sure cyclists gain any advantage from large protein intakes after exercise when all we're looking for is muscle repair.

Probably ok for body builders who might be trying to add more muscle in addition to repairing damaged tissue.

I take d-ribose and creatine tablets every day. The sensible side of me says I might as well flush the approximately twenty pounds a month they cost me down the toilet; my more naive and optimistic self whispers in my ear - "well, you never know!" :whistle:

I suspect, as always, a sensible and balanced diet is all that's really needed! :rolleyes:

adscrim

Veteran
I have a tin of sardines (sometimes on toast but often just straight from the tin) and a glass of milk followed by two small brioche rolls with nutella and a cup of coffee after weekend rides. The first part gives me most of what I need, the second part is just for fun.

EDIT - I found some sunpat chocolate peanut butter in Asda yesterday which I'll be trying on Saturday!

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Wouldn't listen to any body builder. Most are taking all sorts including controlled medications.

Good balanced diet. Milk is great.

Strange thing is that the guy said not to add any powdered cr*p & to keep a balanced diet, which is exactly what you just said.

According to your ignorant mantra, spurned on by common misconceptions, most cyclist are injecting steroids into their ars*s before each ride. Not saying you're talking boll*x there or anything, but you are... :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a cyclist and I've not injected steroids anywhere

(nor erythropoetin which you will find is also a favourite of some pros [allegedly])

ayceejay

Guru
Whey is a by product of milk when the milk is processed into cheese and whey protein is a by product of that which obviously gives you more protein than milk and eggs in their unprocessed state. Pea protein is a much cheaper alternative to whey and you might want to look at that although the question remains - will a protein supplement help with your recovery?

Studley

I think any gains you may get by substituting the milk and egg for whey powder will be negligible for the given exercise. Powdered protien is more for bodybuilders wanting to keep a continual supply of protiens in their system to aid muscle building/repair. Most cyclists should be fine with a good overall diet. imho
That said, no harm in giving it a try. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom