Which £1000 gravel bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Long

OK, the usual thread,

Looking at pinnacle arkose d2
Specialized diverge elite
Boardman adv
Cannondale topstone

Really between boardman and pinnacle
Both have hydraulic brakes and tiagra
Both not great colours

Thoughts?
I'm using for trails but want to commute in the winter as my summer bike is a colnago

Chris

vickster

Legendary Member
Usual response...go ride them, and choose the one that makes you smile...if that doesn’t throw up a winner buy from the local bike shop that’s going to offer you the best service and aftersales... so based on your stated current preference that’s Halfords/Cycle Republic vs Evans (Sports Direct)...hit and miss for both chains potentially

Assume you’ve done a thorough search through the existing threads referencing the selected models...

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Usual response...go ride them, and choose the one that makes you smile...if that doesn’t throw up a winner buy from the local bike shop that’s going to offer you the best service and aftersales... so based on your stated current preference that’s Halfords/Cycle Republic vs Evans (Sports Direct)...hit and miss for both chains potentially

Assume you’ve done a thorough search through the existing threads referencing the selected models...

Yes done a lot of research. Tbh, it is the house brands putti g me off, although if I go trek or specialized they are lower spec for same money..

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes done a lot of research. Tbh, it is the house brands putti g me off, although if I go trek or specialized they are lower spec for same money..
Have you looked at merlin? Good components for the cash...
Decathlon?
Planet X?
Where are you based?
What have you ridden?
Any older models on sale?

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Yes disc brakes and not a cyclocross, need to commute on it so double chain ring needed. I think it's between the pinnacle arkose and the boardman adv still. I've ordered a pinnacle to test ride. It does seem solid, if a bit weighty, which is why I was consider g the specialized diverge. About 1.5 kg lighter

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes disc brakes and not a cyclocross, need to commute on it so double chain ring needed. I think it's between the pinnacle arkose and the boardman adv still. I've ordered a pinnacle to test ride. It does seem solid, if a bit weighty, which is why I was consider g the specialized diverge. About 1.5 kg lighter
Why do you need a double chainring to commute? I thought the singles were marketed at commuters...or do you have a very hilly trip?

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Why do you need a double chainring to commute? I thought the singles were marketed at commuters...or do you have a very hilly trip?

Yes hilly but it's 22 miles and I usually do it in about an hour and 5 in the summer, so whilst it will be slower, I have to be able to ride it as a road bike too

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I had a Diverge Sport (last years version of the Elite) and I found it a very comfortable ride. I had 38mm tyres on it but I think you’re limited to 32 if you want mudguards. Also fitting a rear rack needs a special seatpost collar.

Have you considered the Giant Toughroad GX? Mounts galore and will take up to 50mm tyres.

Considering your quite lengthy commute I’d definitely recommend a decent test ride before committing.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You can road test the Boardman at a Cycle Republic store.

To be fair, you won't go far wrong with it if it suits in terms of fit, etc, but I agree that recent colour schemes on a lot of their bikes are less than inspiring.

Top Bottom