Which aspects of cycling have got you fitter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Sweet spot 20’s. Fastest way to get generally cycling fit. Then a long slow ride thrown in once a week.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An old military friend set me a challenge last year to do 22 push ups every day for 22 days. I had a bad shoulder and said I would ride 22km every day for 22 days instead.

So come rain or shine I rode at least 22km in one go, every day for 22 days.

Up until then, my 20km commute was a bit of a challenge. But riding 22km for 22 days not only boosted my cycling fitness. It also made me find the right clothes that suited me and helped me set the bike up to where I can ride all day without discomfort.

I have carried on increasing my distances since my 22km challenge and now 50-100km and beyond is not a problem. Now the weather has improved it is a joy. My 22km challenge toughened me up and I rode to work most days during the winter.

At the time of setting the challenge my old military friend had been diagnosed as having terminal cancer. But he did his 22 push ups every day and posted them from the USA, Paris and other exotic locations where he decided to spend his last few months. He passed away at the end of last year.

I owe him a debt of gratitute.

I try to go out on my bike when I and the weather feel up to it , although I did take a bike out for a play in the snow earlier this year. Cycling may have improved my fitness a bit but it has also helped mentally in giving me something to think about . Chatting on here , trying to solve people's questions, and even trying to solve my own can be stimulating.
The feeling you get from having fixed something, filed and polished some scratches out a pair of handlebars or brake levers to successfully rebuilding a wheel can help to improve your mental fitness, or may help prevent a decline .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A 7 mile ride to work every morning and evening. That's an hour fairly strenuous excercise each day. A year or two of that and I was really fit (by my standards), and 40 miles (ok not a huge distance) was just a doddle. Was fitter for other stuff too, and the weight came off.

However, I don't recommend doing b-all cycling for 18 months, working away in hotels and drinking beer / eating curry every night as a good follow up regiem

Alan O

Über Member
Turning the pedals with my feet ;)
That, essentially, and doing it for as many hours as I comfortably can. Over hill, over dale, Through bush, through brier, Over park, over pale, Through flood, through fire... it all works.

The other big thing is that when I'm pedaling I'm not eating, and I don't get hungrier in proportion to the extra calories burned.

Oldbloke

Guru
Consistency seems to be working for me, try to do at least 150 kms weekly over 3 rides, although this last winter made a big dent in that! My level of fitness stays stable as I rarely ride hard these days as it leaves me too tired following day:biggrin:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Slightly OT as they aren't cycling, but push-ups are excellent and you don't need any equipment. Chin-ups are even better and if you've got a loft it isn't hard to rig up a makeshift bar across the opening. Very satisfying when you become strong enough to get into double figures without collapsing in a heap.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Five miles a day on a regular basis is probably enough to maintain a healthy level of fitness. It won't get you race fit, but for general well being it is probably enough to keep you in trim.
I went out yesterday intending to do 30+ kms but it was colder and windier than I expected and then it started raining so I just did 4 kms to warm up my legs and then tackled one very hard climb. I decided that was enough for me so I descended the far side and looped back round to home. Only 11 kms in total but with that hill it felt like a worthwhile little ride.

Steep lump.gif

I think doing that 4 or 5 times a week would be enough to keep reasonably fit.

Top Bottom