Which aspects of cycling have got you fitter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suppose the first or common response that comes to mind is anything that pushes the heart rate.

I was going to suggest tackling steep hills. Others may say going flat out on flat stretches of road.

I think the mindset & self-discipline have been my greatest help.

Forcing myself out on cold days so that I cycle all year round. Not stopping for a rest on hills most of the time. Occasionally "going for it" on flat stretches. Occasionally pootling along the canal to relax and feed the ducks at times-keeping the fun element there, and consequently the interest long term.

vickster

Legendary Member
Turning the pedals with my feet ;)

mgs315

Higher power. Doesn’t matter if it’s on a climb, flat or descent, if I’m pushing more power I get fitter. HR would be related I guess.

U

User33236

Cycling in general over the years has helped me maintain a good base fitness level which grew over the years as I upped mileage and frequency of hills.

That fitness level has allowed me to go from a complete non-runner 18 months ago, with sporadic runs in between, to taking part in my first marathon next week with a possibility (from 20 and 22 mile training runs) of a time of sub 3:45.

The running has also upped my endurance which is helping my cycling.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As a purely utility/leisure rider with no interest in going fast or proving how fast I am to anyone else, I don't try to make this fitness business too technical. For me it's purely about saddle hours. Riding a bike is not a constant load, constant workrate activity, even if all your miles are on relatively flat roads. You are still accelerating to get up to speed so you constantly vary cadence until you reach gear change speed, then when you get in your cruising gear your cadence will be fairly stable but the load will then vary slightly due to gentle gradients, surface changes, wind direction etc. You're still getting a workout of sorts all the time you pedal.
The most important thing to me is not overdoing things and avoiding picking up injuries. I don't push it too hard and when I start to feel tired, I call it a day. I don't go all-out and completely knacker myself. I've had years of doing very little cycling (although I do an active job and walk a fair bit) and I'm realistic enough to know that it will take me a considerable time to regain the fitness level I had as a youngster 30+ years ago when I did a lot of miles on a bike. I'm not expecting miracles overnight. If I'm noticeably fitter and a few pounds lighter in weight a year from now, I'll consider that a good result.

Will Spin

Über Member
I've been cycling for years, but I've got much fitter since I retired and joined a cycling club. I go out once a week with the club and we go much further than I usually do on my own ,plus there is a bit of friendly (?) rivalry when we get to a hill.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Enjoying it. If you manage that you'll keep coming back for more, and increased fitness becomes a free side effect.

Personally, the single thing that saw the biggest improvement in my fitness was doing longer and longer rides on my single speed. I've never been as fit as when I was doing 120-140 mile rides in one gear.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A combination of time-trialling and long-distance keeps me moderately fit. But then I don't cycle to keep fit, I do it for enjoyment. I enjoy touring and sight-seeing as well.

Top Bottom