Which baby buggy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I assume it is a buggy rather than a pram you are after ? Some buggy's won't lie flat which is important when the little one is really little, as well as having it so that the nipper is facing you rather than away. This is so much better for interacting in the early months. Greco and Maclaren we found were good.

lukesdad

I can't tell you what we had as theyve been turned into go karts now, but they were pretty good !

U

User482

If they don't have a car then a travel system is redundant, and there are concerns that long-term use of car seats clipped on buggies isn't good for a baby's back. Many of the prams on the market are too big to fit across an average car's boot, so eat up all your luggage space - the last thing you need when hauling around all the other baby gear! They are also heavy and difficult to fold, especially if you're trying to hold your baby at the same time.

We have two prams - a lightweight folder for the car (Obaby, I think) and a Silver Cross 3D which we keep in the house. The 3D fits ok in the space for prams on the bus. Both were bought second hand for a fraction of the new cost - I'd recommend doing this as you don't really know what will suit you until you try it.

One thing not mentioned elsewhere - look for a good size storage basket, it's nice to be able to walk to the shops with junior and stick all the booze under the pram...

Oh, and congrats Grandad!

Sandra6

Veteran
If you're going to be using public transport why not buy a sling and carry the baby instead? That worked much better for me when my youngest was newborn as her pram was huge, but it was bought for walking with - and loading with shopping.
I used to miss that pram when I had to walk a mile with the shopping - but now I cycle!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Out of date information now, but I started with a proper pram, that did have a car seat that could fit in the same frame. But I only generally used it for the first 4 months or so with each child. Although it gave my babies some space and a nice flat area to lie onto - it was very big in comparison to the buggies that followed. And it was very rarely used with the car seat fitted into the pram frame - it just didn't look as comfortable for my babies.

I found my Maclaren buggies (I wore out several through lots of use), were great for getting around, into and around shops, onto buses, into the boot of the car, into friends houses with narrow hallways.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My daughter is preggo and my son-in-law suggested jokingly that I ask for advice on CycleChat as "they seem to know everything about everything" - his words!
That's a challenge.
Some of them are crazy prices!!
the cheapest McLaren. Seriously. Reliable, folds down to nothing, little to go wrong. We did so many miles that the tyres squared off. I'm not sure if the Volo will bear a carrycot, though. Forget padded seat covers - they just get wet or too hot.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
the cheapest McLaren. Seriously. Reliable, folds down to nothing, little to go wrong. We did so many miles that the tyres squared off. I'm not sure if the Volo will bear a carrycot, though. Forget padded seat covers - they just get wet or too hot.

What we used too, very light and compact unlike the monster buggies you often see lumping around the place,
Even for a newborn?
We had a cheapo Maclaren ourselves for when they were a bit older but that was 30 years ago and there's a vast choice out there now.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I can't tell you what we had as theyve been turned into go karts now, but they were pretty good !

Do go on, this sounds awesome!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If you're going to be using public transport why not buy a sling and carry the baby instead? That worked much better for me when my youngest was newborn as her pram was huge, but it was bought for walking with - and loading with shopping.
I used to miss that pram when I had to walk a mile with the shopping - but now I cycle!

+1 for sling, I never got the knack of it but mummy Culture wore our daughter very comfortably for a long time and preferred it to the buggy even when going for long walks. We had the big huge swath of material jobby rather than the fitted rucksack type. My wife even did the gardening with our spawn in the sling!

Globalti

Legendary Member
New model Silver Cross Surf, just been given a 2" handle lift for tall users, mountain bike suspension, light frame, takes a car seat. Suitable from birth, then converts to a buggy later.

Around £600 and if you shop around you can get a free car seat.

Top Bottom