Which BEV to get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI all,

I always thought that my first BEV would be a Tesla. But...

I have started work with a new company and they have a company car scheme for which I am eligible. Sadly, Tesla and Polestar are not in the included makes for my rank.
I have a choice of:-
  • Nissan Leaf (2018)
  • Peugeot E-208 Hatch or Estate (2019)
  • Mini Hatch (2021)
  • Seat MII Hatch (2019)
  • VW ID.3 Hatch (2020) or ID.4 Estate (2021)
  • Citroen E-C4 Hatch (2020)
  • Renault Zoe Hatch (2019)
  • Skoda Enyaq IV Estate (2021)
  • Audi Q4 Etron Estate / Sportback
  • Mercedes EQA Hatch (2021)
There is a BMW I4 Gran Coupe, IX3, IX and the Merc EQC Estate and a few more Audi's but they are really out of my budget range. There are also Fiats which are out of my consideration!

So - which would you go for? We currently have a family car (Renault Grand Scenic) but probably don't need as much boot space as we used to. That said I am veering towards the ID.4 Estate except that the reviewers pan the in-car control system, which puts me off a bit.

Interested to see what people think!

CXRAndy

Guru
You've got a nice selection there. Firstly will you be doing any long journeys with the new EV? I would look at https://ev-database.uk/ to give you far more accurate range numbers for virtually all EV's. Not the manufacturers numbers, they're pie in the sky ranges.

Quite like the Skoda. model 261bhp iV 80X AWD version, better range and sure footed. Front wheel EV's can easily spin up wheels unless you feather the power from standing start.

What you're looking for is CCS rapid charging of ideally 100kWatts or more. This is the primary type of connection.

Nissan is still using Chademo for rapid and is limited to 50kW currently.

Then features, get adaptive cruise control, heated everything an app to control functions. LED lights. Then its the crap stuff, like how it looks wheel sizes. Dont get big wheels go for 17 or 18" wheels. 19-20" will be harsh as hell and reduce range significantly

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The infotainment system would IMO be a consideration, but not a primary one.
Real world range and charging first, which suit your requirements, then the stuff which makes being in the car the car everyday easier or not, as the case may be.

What mileage do you do per day ? What long journeys do you do ?

No point paying or lugging around a huge battery if you don't need it.

figbat

Slippery scientist

Exactly this. The MINI gets panned for its short range, yet praised for its handling. A small battery, low down means it drives well but doesn't go far. But when it gets to a charger it takes less time to refill too. Since getting mine, the wife's XC40 rarely gets used as most of our trips are easily within range for the MINI.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

Mostly the car goes very short distances. Occasional treks to New Forest or Worcester , so no huge need for more than about 120 miles. And that will usually involve a loo break! The kids are now teens but we need to be able to get them and us in the car plus luggage on occasion so I'm still veering towards an estate rather than a hatch.

I've heard good things about the Skoda also. I may pay some visits to dealerships...

I love my Yeti and the dealership is great - can't do enough for me.

My wife uses her Leaf daily - probably about 50 or 60 miles a day. So using less than half the range it has. You could get by on that easily. She's using about £6 of electric each week off peak. A huge saving on her former petrol bill.

The bigger and heavier the car the more energy you'll use to move it round.

Joffey

Big Dosser
HI all,

I always thought that my first BEV would be a Tesla. But...

I have started work with a new company and they have a company car scheme for which I am eligible. Sadly, Tesla and Polestar are not in the included makes for my rank.
I have a choice of:-
  • Nissan Leaf (2018)
  • Peugeot E-208 Hatch or Estate (2019)
  • Mini Hatch (2021)
  • Seat MII Hatch (2019)
  • VW ID.3 Hatch (2020) or ID.4 Estate (2021)
  • Citroen E-C4 Hatch (2020)
  • Renault Zoe Hatch (2019)
  • Skoda Enyaq IV Estate (2021)
  • Audi Q4 Etron Estate / Sportback
  • Mercedes EQA Hatch (2021)
There is a BMW I4 Gran Coupe, IX3, IX and the Merc EQC Estate and a few more Audi's but they are really out of my budget range. There are also Fiats which are out of my consideration!

So - which would you go for? We currently have a family car (Renault Grand Scenic) but probably don't need as much boot space as we used to. That said I am veering towards the ID.4 Estate except that the reviewers pan the in-car control system, which puts me off a bit.

Interested to see what people think!

The ID3 control system is fine. I've driven an ID3 on a few occasions and it's not much different to the older VW systems. I in fact drove a SEAT Leon last week (petrol) and it's got the same system in and by the end of the week I really enjoyed it.

I'd go for an ID3 over the 4 - for looks.

gzoom

Über Member
The EQC is a fantastic machine in the flesh, its under rated by reviewers for some reason but its actually very efficient, built like a tank, and has top level finish. So I suspect the the EQA to be similar.

The VAG EVs are all much of a muchness, given equal cost it has to be the Merc every time.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've got a Zoe and love it, but probably a bit small for your needs.

The rear seat only folds in one piece, and the squab doesn't lift up, so ultimate load carrying capacity is compromised.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thought I would share an update...

I had quite an interesting time over Christmas.
I narrowed down my shortlist to
  • Merc EQC
  • Audi Q4 -E-Tron
  • Skoda Enyaq
  • VW ID4
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Citroen E-C4
And during the Christmas break we had a trip round the showrooms of Southampton. Notable was that the dealers seem to have very different attitudes. At each dealer I explained that I was buying through a fleet company and not the dealership (this was deliberate).

The Mercedes dealership didn't have an EQC in the showroom, only on the forecourt. Salesman unlocked it so we could take a look. Didn't bother to check whether we could actually get in it (parked to close on drivers side).

Audi were too busy trying to sell cars to let us look at an E-Tron. I had looked at one at our local branch but again, after mentioning that I was looking to buy through a fleet scheme but might take one for a test drive - "well I can't *refuse* you a test drive I suppose".

Skoda were good, although seemed to get hung up on telling me I needed to speak to the Fleet rep. We actually looked in two dealerships. Brockenhurst have the "Founders Edition" which is a car you can't buy but which we quite liked. Southampton had the ordinary edition you *can* buy but which we liked less. An interesting "un-sales" technique.

Nissan were nice, but the leaf is a leaf and we felt the range was a bit small as was the boot. The Citroen garage also nice, but we didn't like the Citroen.

Vauxhall Volkswagen dealers have been the single best dealers. Hugely helpful, not at all bothered about not getting a sale from me. We took one for a test drive and really liked it. I still liked the Enyaq *but* whereas the ID4 comes fully specced, the Enyak comes with nothing and you then have to spend 15 grand adding in "packs".

So - our new car will be the ID4 family edition. I'm afraid the arrogance of the "premium" brands doesn't just come across in the way they are driven...

Last edited:
Top Bottom