Which bicycle is best for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ribble had no stock seemingly either at least of the (relatively) cheaper models, maybe now they do. Sonder from Alpkit would also be a good option, but ditto little to zero stock!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Half decent tourer will do it all. Stick to known names and second hand are available reasonably.

carpiste

Guru
Evans are now owned by Mike Ashley…just saying
I really don`t care who owns it.
The Glazers own mufc, but it doesn`t stop people going to watch the footy, Michael Ryan doesn`t stop people flying with Ryanair!
The fact is there is stock and his staff seem to know what they`re talking about. You can at least get to sit on the odd bike, not necessarily buy one from there. You can`t do that online or with a lot of local bike shops in todays climate.

Brooks

Look up charity bike workshop in Cardiff and cycle training Wales comes up. It looks like they sell refurbished bikes every Friday. They offer rider training and bike maintenance courses.
My advice would be to go down the 2nd hand route and these people would help you find the right sized bike. 6 months riding around on a 2nd hand bike will give you a more informed view of what kind of bike suits you best.
Also join a local group that does easy paced rides in your area, you'll gain so much knowledge from members of the group.
Good luck!

Sharky

Guru
About 15 years ago, I was sort of in a similar position. A life long cyclist, but my one and only bike "died" with a broken frame. I wanted to resume commuting after a few years break from it, but didn't know what bike to get. From my old bike to the new bikes, technology had changed tremendously.

So I opted for a cheap (£270) road bike from Decathlon. It was a wise move, as the size wasn't quite right. But it got me commuting again. Even rode a sportive, club runs and a 10 mile time trial on it. With the knowledge learned from this bike, I upgraded (including the frame) and also have 3 other bikes in regular use.

So I would suggest starting off cheap and then go for an N+1 when you know exactly what you need..

OP
OP
H

homerjay

Some great advice here, thanks all. Hadn't actually considered getting a cheap or second-hand bike to find what's right for me, before a 'proper' upgrade at a later point. This might be the way forward!

Lots to think about, but I'll be heading to a few shops this weekend.

I'd advise going the other way and look for a hybrid (with a rigid fork). A drop bar tourer would also tick all the boxes.

As you're new to cycling, I reckon you'll appreciate the more upright riding position and relaxed geometry both of those will offer. You'll also get all the eyelets needed to mount a rack and mudguards for commuting, the capability to take wider tyres i.e. more "boing" on rough surfaces, and a triple chainset up front.

The latter is useful if you do plan on tackling some hills, as it will give you much lower gearing than some of the options that have been suggested. Plus, if you are very unfit, you'll really appreciate lower gears, even on the flat.

I'd also advocate second hand if you can - and save most of your budget for another day. Plus you'll also need to think about things like helmet, gloves, luggage, locks, spares and a few tools as well.

Johnno260

Veteran
The bike you're most comfortable on is the best one.

Top Bottom