Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Kryptonite NY 3000D

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Abus Granite X plus 54

• Other (please specifiy)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I'm in a quandry now, although I am gravitating towards the Magnum mini shackle on the basis it's smaller and so harder for thieves to get leverage if it's tucked away and hard to reach.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
According to a friend who runs a motorcycle security business, cables are almost pointless - they can all be easily cut in seconds. Serious chains work, but not the ones light enough to be carried on a bicycle. Which leaves U-locks rated as Sold Secure Gold.

But it's also about the application. If you're nipping into the corner shop for 2 mins, then even a cheapo cable-lock that you could cut with a sharp piece of paper may be good enough for practical purposes; if you're leaving it unattended all day, you want a proper lock.

Ben

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Sheldon's article was very interesting. I think I shall go for a mini D lock now. For convienience sake it'll be the Magnum mini from Halfrauds I think. I'll keep the combination cable lock I already have for lightening visits to the PO and stuff.

GrahamG

Guru
Dannyg said:
Hmm...never tried locking my bike like that. Can see the logic, but the downside is that your lock is going to get really mucky from the chain.

You can just lock it a bit higher up than that - it's no problem at all. The only downside with the Krytonite's though is that the width of the shackle is about 5mm too small for street sign columns, but that's only an occasional annoyance if there's plenty of cycle parking around.

Plax said:
Sheldon's article was very interesting. I think I shall go for a mini D lock now. For convienience sake it'll be the Magnum mini from Halfrauds I think. I'll keep the combination cable lock I already have for lightening visits to the PO and stuff.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is the fact that mini bottle jacks (as in car jacks) are commonly used on U-locks as bolt-cropping can be very difficult on thicker shackles (requiring a very large tool), so you need to fill up the space inside the lock with bike wheel/frame/bike rack to ensure that this method can't be used. That's why the mini u-lock is a good idea.

Also, consider just installing good old fashioned wheel nuts and saddle bolt - this is enough to discourage nicking wheels and saddles/posts without having to bother with cables to run through them. Who the hell actually needs quick release?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well I have my mitts on a Magnum Mini D Lock. It's quite hefty - has anyone actually bothered to mount it to the frame?
Also anyone registered their 5 (yes that's right FIVE) keys? You know in case you manage to lose ALL of them (must be quite a feat to loose 5 keys). Or taken them up on the free anti-theft protection offer for 1 year?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well I can confirm that the Magnum Mini D Lock, when flung from the bike downhill after going over a few bumps just shy of 40mph holds up well. Mine survived it's ordeal will a few deep scuffs/scrapes on the barrel lock bit. It remained firmly locked throughout the ordeal. There was no traffic behind me so I didn't find out how it fared with getting run over as well (or how well it dented car bonnets).
I've decided that it's probably best stuck in the side of the pannier for now, rather than bungied to the top of the rack. It has been fine for months, but that road is where everything quite merrily falls off the bike. So far it has been a bottle, a camera, a cheap light and now the D lock!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use an Ugh bracket to hold my lock on...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300006187&N=Abus UGH Bracket
You get 3 brackets for that money and I mount mine on the side of my rack - does make that side out of use for a bag. I've been using it for over a year now and the lock has never come off. I do periodically have to tighten some of the brackets - strangely one stays done up and the other two loosen themselves and make a rattle but still hold up the lock.

Top Bottom