Which Bike: Allez or Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

This is my first post here so i hope its in the right place. Basically i'm a keen rower and have been advised to substitute my running for a non impact cardio sport and I'd really like to get into cycling. Looking at buying my first road bike and I was pretty happy with the Decathlon Triban 3. Was going to purchase one until I learnt about the new 'white' model not actually being the same model, despite costing the same amount £300.

I then ran into a 2010 Specialized Allez on Gumtree for £250 and I must say I'm tempted. I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were w.r.t these two bikes? Looks like the red triban three is out of the picture, they appear to be like gold dust. So its white triban 3 or 2010 specialized Allez.

Thanks!

Steve Donovan

Can't vouch for the Allez, but I have a white Triban3 and I'm over the moon with it.

OP
OP
M
I'd agree with the Allez comments - just make sure it hasn't been stolen (check receipts etc.)

Is there any other way of checking if its stolen if the seller doesn't have hold of the purchase receipts? (Its 3 years old now so I wouldn't think it so obscure that they wouldn't have the receipts).

Not that I've much experience of either (just what I've read on forums) but I'd be swayed towards the Allez also. I would caveat it with test ride them and see which ones feels best, it'll be the best bike for you; bare in mind though, I believe the Allez has a more aggressive position (given its racing pedigree) and that might take a bit of getting used to.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Allez costs quite a lot more than the Triban. I have neither but know people who have both. On a value for money basis I would go for the Triban. I know at least one member on here who races on a Triban3. With the Allez you are undoubtedly paying a premium for the name. I am not saying it isn't a very good bike at it's price point, but the original red Triban 3 is without any real rival at it's price. It is snapping at the heels of the Allez but £200 quid less.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is there any other way of checking if its stolen if the seller doesn't have hold of the purchase receipts? (Its 3 years old now so I wouldn't think it so obscure that they wouldn't have the receipts).

If he bought it from his LBS, they should be able to provide proof of purchase. I would gauge how he reacts to the question

OP
OP
M
The Allez costs quite a lot more than the Triban. I have neither but know people who have both. On a value for money basis I would go for the Triban. I know at least one member on here who races on a Triban3. With the Allez you are undoubtedly paying a premium for the name. I am not saying it isn't a very good bike at it's price point, but the original red Triban 3 is without any real rival at it's price. It is snapping at the heels of the Allez but £200 quid less.

Aye but the trouble is that its becoming increasingly hard to find a red triban 3. And the Allez is coming in cheaper than a new triban 3, but obviously its been used for 3 years...

heather68

I know its hard to get hold of but try for the red triban 3 if u can , bought one new a few weeks ago and for first road bike its amazing and easier to get used to than the allez , with a new bike u get the peace of mind of a warranty and withe the triban u can sell it on no bother if u get the bug and want to upgrade

Tight Git

Veteran
Rely on your instincts - he should be able to tell you which shop he bought it from even if he hasn't got thee receipt. :-)

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
First road bike a specialized allez and cant express how great it was. I would recommend spending the little extra to get the 105 on it. Reason being the way to change gear is rather annoying on the standard allez and near impossible while in the drops. Its something which will bug you overtime. The triban has the same issue.
I wish I didnt sell it. Its like the girl you have and love it to bits and lose it. Then wonder what if.
fark, I had to punch a wall just to gain back my masculinity

Top Bottom