Which bike did you long term covet............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
BMC Impec

NeilM

Back in the 90's I used to buy MBUK every month and see the exotica that the staff riders got to play with. I was not averse to the American offerings, but it was the Chas Roberts DOGS BOLX and almost anything built by Dave Yates that always took my eye, but I could afford neither and eventually built the best bike I could afford based on a GT Zaskar LE frame.

Sometime around 2012 I got back into mtb's and discovered I was now Retro and that my Zaskar was also Retro and that there were a whole bunch of other people buying selling and riding Retro. It was around then I managed to find a DOGS BOLX frame. It needed a new top tube and some paint but a trip back to Chas's workshop soon had that taken care of. It was built up using mostly modern running gear and I have been riding it ever since, I love it.

As for Dave Yates creations. I have a Diabolo that is a fun / nuts bike to ride. I had a more modern derivative of the DONKIS NOB in 853, but whenever things got fast downhill it would try (and sometimes succeed) to chuck me off and I later got a 90's DONKIS in Columbus MAX OR and that didn't suit me either.

D

Deleted member 1258

There's a thread from September last year about the worst bike you ever owned.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-worst-bike-ever-made-or-that-you-have-owned.207196/

I'll just repeat most of what I posted in there with a few words added.

In the 1980's as a young fella with a growing family and a hefty mortgage I either built my bikes from bits or brought them from newspaper adds/ shop window adds. At one point I did a lot of overtime and saved enough to build up a bike on a new frame, 12 speeds on a 531 frame, it looked lovely, but I was disappointed as I couldn't get on with it. I never worked out why but It was never right for me and I struggled on it for the two years I rode it. eventually a club mate of mine was selling a used Dawes 531 frame and I brought it then swapped the components off the Bromidge onto the Dawes and rode the Dawes for many years and had some great rides on it. The local plumber had the Bromidge frame in part payment for a central heating repair.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bought my Dawes Vantage in 2012 and loved it bar the harsh frame.
I'd been itching for a more comfy steel frame during its use and someone posted a link to such a delight on eBay...so I bought one.
Built it up whilst cursing and swearing at it (issues with the front mech and brakes) and got her running.
First ride scared the crap out of me. The steering is the twitchiest I've ever known. It's like the front wheel wants to spin 360 degrees while turning into bends and it wants to track along the smallest ruts in the tarmac like it was following a tram line.
Love it to bits but hate with a passion how it handles.
20170216_112125.jpg

Ciar

Veteran
This bike was the one i always wanted back in the 80's, that or a chrome Mongoose back when they made decent bikes :smile:
441298603_bef178ff59.jpg

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Bought my Dawes Vantage in 2012 and loved it bar the harsh frame.
I'd been itching for a more comfy steel frame during its use and someone posted a link to such a delight on eBay...so I bought one.
Built it up whilst cursing and swearing at it (issues with the front mech and brakes) and got her running.
First ride scared the crap out of me. The steering is the twitchiest I've ever known. It's like the front wheel wants to spin 360 degrees while turning into bends and it wants to track along the smallest ruts in the tarmac like it was following a tram line.
Love it to bits but hate with a passion how it handles. View attachment 338064
That does look like a quite steep head angle, do you know what angle it is ?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That does look like a quite steep head angle, do you know what angle it is ?
Absolutely no idea whatsoever.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Tends to happen as you get older! If I really wanted to I could easily afford a motorbike I would have lusted after in my younger years..... But now? No thanks!

I've always wanted a Colnago like the one that Saronni rode to win the Worlds at Goodwood. But now I can afford one, there's really no point, it would be totally unsuitable to the riding I do these days.

Top Bottom