Which bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hysq

I'm hoping to get a bike through my employer's Cycle to Work scheme. It's the Halfords scheme but also includes independent retailers and I'd rather support independents. However, my first visit to a shop was underwhelming (after glowing reviews of the shop). Based on my vague criteria (I was open to suggestions and basically potentially a blank cheque!) the guy pointed out a few bikes I wasn't really able to see properly and gave prices off the top of his head as I frantically scribbled on the price-free catalogue he handed me. There were a couple I liked everything about except the colour and ultimately the one I settled on as a my choice from the shop is the Genesis Delta 10 at £575 https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/delta-10-2020. However, I've since ruled it out as I've discovered it can't take much thicker tyres and mudguards.

I facebook messaged another local shop and they've said I should pop in to discuss further but their go-to recommendation would be the GT Grade Elite at £850 https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/grade-elite which I love the look of but is more than I wanted to spend. They said there is a lower spec model but they recommend that one (I'd specified I wanted to spend under £600). When I went in and asked about the lower spec one, the guy did some looking on the computer and said he was mistaken - it was an older model he could no longer model. This was pretty much the only bike appropriate for me apparently. Overall, my experience of independent bike shops has been disappointing.

I wonder if any kind person who knows more about these things could tell me if the GT is a decent option for me. With the scheme the costs will be spread and it's salary-sacrifice but I still don't want to spend more than I need. I found another one that seems ideal with rave reviews but it's from Decathlon and I don't think my scheme is accepted by them. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-500-disc-road-bike-black-sora-id_8554410.html

I'm looking to use it for commuting in quite a hilly city with quite pot-holey roles in places. The commute is 5 miles one way but, having not cycled much for many years, I may break it up with some train time initially. I would also want to use it on canal paths for leisure etc. Where I live is also very rainy so I'd want to consider that when it comes to brakes.

Tredz is able to take the Halfords vouchers www.tredz.co.uk

If you are able to forgo the c2w for cash Evans currently have a cracking offer on a Norco Indie drop disc brake bike for £485. It has the latest Claris (bar routed cables) internal cable routing and mounts for guards oh and its set up for a commute with Schwalbe Marathon tyres. https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-indie-drop-a-claris-2019-road-bike-EV337682

I am also selling my 2017 Boardman CX comp as it’s a little too big for me. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153596384070

OP
OP
H

hysq

Hi bikingdad90, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been looking on tredz. Unfortunately there's always something missing in the bikes I like (mostly having it in XL for me!). c2w does seem like a pretty good deal for me, so much so that I'm ignoring advice to buy second hand to try it out first (I figure I'd still have to buy new accessories for about 150 plus the used bike would still be say 350 - all up front rather than say getting 850 worth of kit for 587 over 18 months). However, that bike does look ideal and is tempting! Your Boardman also looks great but I think would be too small (I'm 6'2" with my leg length making up the bulk of my height).

Hi bikingdad90, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been looking on tredz. Unfortunately there's always something missing in the bikes I like (mostly having it in XL for me!). c2w does seem like a pretty good deal for me, so much so that I'm ignoring advice to buy second hand to try it out first (I figure I'd still have to buy new accessories for about 150 plus the used bike would still be say 350 - all up front rather than say getting 850 worth of kit for 587 over 18 months). However, that bike does look ideal and is tempting! Your Boardman also looks great but I think would be too small (I'm 6'2" with my leg length making up the bulk of my height).

I’m 5ft 7, so you would probably need the 58cm seat tube two sizes up to fit you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The manufacturers will usually give a guide on tyre sizes. 40c is probably about as wide as you want for your usage. Fatter is more comfortable but it will sap your input on the road. I'd say 32c would be a better choice. You can always change them of course.
If you want that bike buy it from Cycle Republic rather their parent Halfords as set up procedures are rather better at the cycle dedicated store. Worth considering the Boardman range which offer good value which is now wholly owned by Halfords.
If you're using it on hilly terrain you might consider a bike with triple chain ring up front to give a really low bottom gear.
Are you sure you want drop bars?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hysq

The manufacturers will usually give a guide on tyre sizes. 40c is probably about as wide as you want for your usage. Fatter is more comfortable but it will sap your input on the road. I'd say 32c would be a better choice. You can always change them of course.
If you want that bike buy it from Cycle Republic rather their parent Halfords as set up procedures are rather better at the cycle dedicated store. Worth considering the Boardman range which offer good value which is now wholly owned by Halfords.
If you're using it on hilly terrain you might consider a bike with triple chain ring up front to give a really low bottom gear.
Are you sure you want drop bars?
Yes, sure I want dropped bars. :-) Looking at the Boardman range - thanks. Good tip about Cycle Republic. I didn't realise they were part of Halfords.

CXRAndy

Guru
Giant do a Tough road bike in drop and flat bars. I understand they are dropping this model this year, so deals are to be had. My daughter got £300 off a £1200 bike. Wide tyres upto 40mm, racks and mudguards fitment points

OP
OP
H

hysq

Xs, S, M, L and XL the sizing is measured with the seat tube. 422mm is a S and is 16”
Thanks bikingdad. What does that mean 21" is in the xs/s/m/l/xl sizing? Even the sizing guide on the page for the bike uses different units.

15=Xs, 16=s, 18=m, 19=l and 21=xl
Or seat tube sizing is 38, 42.2, 46.2, 49.5 and 52.8cm but a better measure for this bike is the top tube effective length which are in order of sizing 53.2, 55.2, 58.6, 61.6 and 64.8cm. At 6ft 1/2 you would be looking at the 19 or 21 inch frame depending on inseam. A short inseam and long arms maybe go for the smaller frame?

OP
OP
H

hysq

Thank you! You are so helpful. I'm 6'2" with very long legs and shorter torso so I've been thinking all along XL is for me.

I really like the look of this bike, especially since the size and colour I want is cheaper (719) for some reason. If anyone can see anything glaring I'd appreciate it but realise I'm already leaning very heavily on some very kind goodwill.

Only possible issue I've spotted is 42 tyres, which may be too thick based on previous advice?

Also, I've just read a couple of reviews that say the weight means it can be more sluggish. Now, I'm not intending to be a racer but I'm assuming this logically means it will be harder work to pedal...?

Last edited:
Top Bottom