Which Bike Frame up to ~£2000

Svendo

Guru
Enjoying the process of umming and ahhhing over my third road bike. Pretty much decided to build it up myself, I have wheels and reckon I can get groupset and my kit of choice for about £1300 all up. I'd quite like to avoid mass-market brands and I currently have an Alloy 2007 Focus Izalco, so racey geometry, lightweight and very stiff rear end.

I'm currently mainly thinking of two different frames:

The Comtat Telegraph, new small British Brand, doubt I'll ever see another one (like my current bike, loads of Cayos, never seen another Izalco) and much cheaper (£750 at the mo.) Seen one review on road.cc which suggests it's very good value for money.

Or I could go all out and get a Storck, probably a Scenario 1.0 or Absolutist 0.9. Top of budget but definitely ticks my boxes, 10/10 in C+ big bike test for scenario 1.1.

Thats where I'm up to, any input gratefully received.

In third and fourth place is going like for like-ish and waiting for current Izalcos to be reduced, but I wouldn't get the fun of building it up. Or going for a more mass market option like a Cervelo R3 or similar.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Depends on what you want - I have a Ridley which is plenty fast enough but lacks the finesse of say a Colnago but I love it!

OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Decision made, partly, There's a Fenomalist ex-showroom reduced to under £2000 for the frameset, so I'm going to see if I can get that. Cervelo still tempting, but they're getting nearly as common as Treks round here. I know that's an endosrsment really, but I can't help wanting to be a bit different ( or a bike snob :wacko:!)

OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Since I posted the original post I'd changed slightly to either a Cervelo R3 SL 2008 reduced to £2000ish or a Fenomalist ex-display reduced to £1899 (both framesets only). The Cervelo is slightly lighter, the Storck slightly stiffer. But I just preferred the appeal of the cachet of the rare german marque, and the reviews reassured me that it'll be at least as tolerable on rough ground/long rides as my current bike.
Which BTW has sadly died, see here: https://www.cyclechat.net/ although I'm being encouraged to try resurrecting it!

TijnUK

I am with you about trying to avoid the mass market but I have to confess there are some beautiful bikes among them. Storck is high on my list too.

OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
TijnUK said:
I am with you about trying to avoid the mass market but I have to confess there are some beautiful bikes among them. Storck is high on my list too.
Oh I'll happily admit there's at least a medium dollop of bike snobbery in my choice of Storck over Cervelo. Having said that I would have ordered the 2008 R3-SL (http://www.slanecycles.com/cervelo-r3-sl-2008-frame-p-2947.html?currency=GBP) if the Storck had been taken.

I'd have made sure to tell everyone it's an R3-SL and not a similar looking RS or plain R3 though ;)!

OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Hurrah, new frame arrived today :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:!
Here's a photo, just to show off like:
View attachment 6680

Just weighed it and it's 1488g for the frameset (frame, fork and headset).

Top Bottom