Which Bike Frame up to ~£2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Enjoying the process of umming and ahhhing over my third road bike. Pretty much decided to build it up myself, I have wheels and reckon I can get groupset and my kit of choice for about £1300 all up. I'd quite like to avoid mass-market brands and I currently have an Alloy 2007 Focus Izalco, so racey geometry, lightweight and very stiff rear end.

I'm currently mainly thinking of two different frames:

The Comtat Telegraph, new small British Brand, doubt I'll ever see another one (like my current bike, loads of Cayos, never seen another Izalco) and much cheaper (£750 at the mo.) Seen one review on road.cc which suggests it's very good value for money.

Or I could go all out and get a Storck, probably a Scenario 1.0 or Absolutist 0.9. Top of budget but definitely ticks my boxes, 10/10 in C+ big bike test for scenario 1.1.

Thats where I'm up to, any input gratefully received.

In third and fourth place is going like for like-ish and waiting for current Izalcos to be reduced, but I wouldn't get the fun of building it up. Or going for a more mass market option like a Cervelo R3 or similar.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Depends on what you want - I have a Ridley which is plenty fast enough but lacks the finesse of say a Colnago but I love it!

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Decision made, partly, There's a Fenomalist ex-showroom reduced to under £2000 for the frameset, so I'm going to see if I can get that. Cervelo still tempting, but they're getting nearly as common as Treks round here. I know that's an endosrsment really, but I can't help wanting to be a bit different ( or a bike snob :wacko:!)

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Since I posted the original post I'd changed slightly to either a Cervelo R3 SL 2008 reduced to £2000ish or a Fenomalist ex-display reduced to £1899 (both framesets only). The Cervelo is slightly lighter, the Storck slightly stiffer. But I just preferred the appeal of the cachet of the rare german marque, and the reviews reassured me that it'll be at least as tolerable on rough ground/long rides as my current bike.
Which BTW has sadly died, see here: https://www.cyclechat.net/ although I'm being encouraged to try resurrecting it!

TijnUK

I am with you about trying to avoid the mass market but I have to confess there are some beautiful bikes among them. Storck is high on my list too.

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
TijnUK said:
I am with you about trying to avoid the mass market but I have to confess there are some beautiful bikes among them. Storck is high on my list too.

Oh I'll happily admit there's at least a medium dollop of bike snobbery in my choice of Storck over Cervelo. Having said that I would have ordered the 2008 R3-SL (http://www.slanecycles.com/cervelo-r3-sl-2008-frame-p-2947.html?currency=GBP) if the Storck had been taken.

I'd have made sure to tell everyone it's an R3-SL and not a similar looking RS or plain R3 though ;)!

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Hurrah, new frame arrived today :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:!
Here's a photo, just to show off like:
View attachment 6680

Just weighed it and it's 1488g for the frameset (frame, fork and headset).

Top Bottom