Which Bike is best to get for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Dare one mention Surly Moloko bars. The cat’s dressing gown.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My advice would be to not spend a lot of money before you've tried touring.

But it wouldn’t be a train smash if you did find touring wasn’t your thing due to the versatility of tourers. If I had to keep one bike it would be my tourer. Commuting, utility, Audax, leisure, winter ice bike, off road etc. It’s a very flexible canvas to work around.

Last edited:

Salar

A fish out of water
All this talk about touring is getting me itching to get back on the bike.

I've had a torn meniscus or bursitis (not sure which without further tests) in the knee for the past three weeks which is taking ages to heal and I'm still hobbling around.
Can't even walk the dog!

Sorry for the diversion. :blush:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm not sure why I wouldnt like touring, as I do enjoy riding my bike. It'd be like going camping in the car except you can enjoy the route and scenery as it doesnt have to pass by so quickly
I may be alone but there are moments in my touring career, especially back when I was forced through penury to camp, which I still wish had passed more quickly. Sometimes, some days, some roads, a loaded bike on tour is just a case of suck it up and grind it out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Theres nothing like putting a tent up in the pitch black and in the p###ing rain and being frozen to death in wet clothes.
I bet the majority of touring bikes have been nowhere near a tour.
That's why I loved my old Litchfield 'Viper 2', you could put the thing up in 2 minutes in fact it only took 1 to get the flysheet up then the inner hung on 2 hooks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Theres nothing like putting a tent up in the pitch black and in the p###ing rain and being frozen to death in wet clothes.
I bet the majority of touring bikes have been nowhere near a tour.
To paraphrase Ma Thatcher "If a grown adult is still camping by the time they are 30, they've failed."

I accept that to some camping is the very zenith of leisure, and not everyone has the level of disposable income to do otherwise, yet I'd rather stab my head with a tent peg.

Top Bottom