1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Bike is best to get for touring?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Grolsche11976, 31 Jan 2018.

1. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

and, on those days, if I can drink in that pub I want to sleep in that pub. Or a similar hostelry nearby.

Alan O likes this.
  2. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I think for it to be comfortable you need a decent tent, sleeping bag and mat as the basics. I've been close to hypothermia in tents in the summer.
    I've been in areas in the Outer Hebrides where a tent would have had no chance regarding staying up. Even in a caravan things were looking dicey with the winds.

Alan O likes this.
  3. GrumpyGregry

for me to be comfortable I need a roof, a bed and a toilet/shower that isn't an outdoor walk away. ;)

Liz Su and Alan O like this.
  4. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Showing your age now.
    I think as well you have to be brought up with camping. Its very hard to get into it from scratch later in life.I'd rather stop at home than camp, I dont like it at all.

Alan O likes this.
  5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You'll find most people on campsites are actually quite affluent it's the skint ones in the B&Bs. I remember when I first took Maz away camping she was surprised at how pleasant everyone was although the funniest thing was when we got home her (adult) children asked "How was camping then Mum" with a smirk on their faces that soon disappeared when she replied "It was fantastic, we're going again next month but I'm going to buy a bigger tent" which she did................................................I'm the poor b*gger that had to carry it though. :sad:

Alan O and Heltor Chasca like this.
  6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

7. GrumpyGregry

snorri likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Grolsche11976

Grolsche11976 Member

nowt wrong with camping. It takes you close to nature, just how mother nature intended.