Which bike... mountain, hybrid or road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I shouldn't be starting this thread when I'm just getting back into ccyling but couldn't resist, there's no harm in asking is there!?

I've been considering a new bike for ages. I've been deciding between a hybrid, mountain and a road bike.

Although I've settled on a hybrid, but what do you guys think?

I would cycle on the roads most of the time, but would also cycle on the canal paths and banks. I would also consider cycling in the countryside most likely on paths made by walkers. And ground featured in the video linked below. I do want to cycle quicker than I do now on the road and keep up with the road bikes.

My budget would I think be under £1000. I don't want to spend a great deal on one, but I do want a good bike with front suspension and most likely disc brakes.

I've had a quick look at a Boardman MX Comp 2014 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992090_langId_-1_categoryId_165534
Any good?

I live in a hilly part of Yorkshire, and would ride on very steep hills in Scotland so good gearing would be essential!! I must say that I have NO IDEA about bikes and gears and what make is better than others etc. So some advice would be grateful.

If it helps, I'm 6'2 and weigh 154kilos.

sazzaa

Have you looked at cyclocross bikes? Boardman do a couple of cx bikes, worth checking out.

sazzaa

It doesn't have front suspension, so I'm not interested in it.
If most of your cycling would be on roads and paths then you have no need for suspension. You also said you'd want to keep up with road bikes, a cx would do that.

OP
OP
F
Think I'll wait longer and see if I really want one of the above bikes, I might decide to go for a full suspension mountain bike instead.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you're riding roads and light trails, a cyclocross is definitely what you want. I've seen them modified to accommodate suspension forks, but really that's not necessary.

OP
OP
F
That would be rubbish on roads.

Yeah I know that. Either hybrid or cyclo then

uclown2002

Guru
cyclocross mud.jpg

Kies

A CX bike sounds perfect for you, IF you can let go of this need for suspension. I have a hybrid which gets different tyre sizes and types mounted dependant on the ride/season. The CX would be just the same.
As an example ...
700 x 23c for summer road riding (April - October)
700 x 28c for autumn/winter/wet weather (October - April)
700 x 32c nobblies for hooting about in muddy parks (occasionally)

OP
OP
F
Yep, I'm thinking that I don't need suspension really. I went cycling this week on a track with plenty of stones and cow muck lol and found it ok without the need for suspension.

Top Bottom