Which Bike Specification - Choices, choices!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

So I've nearly found the bike I want next but think I am over analysing the specification......

The bike is from Dolan Bikes and as they offer you the choice to spec your bike I am struggling as too what is the best final option, therefore I have whittled it down to the four below;

Option 1 (good general spec)
Dolan L'Etape 56cm
Sram Rival
Mavic Aksium S

Option 2 (best wheel set)
Dolan L'Etape 56cm
Sram Rival
Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Option 3 (best group set)
Dolan L'Etape 56cm
Sram Force 22
Mavic Aksium S

Option 4 (lightest)
Dolan Tuono 61cm
Sram Rival
Mavic Aksium S

On speaking with the Guys at the shop the lightest combination would be just Option 4, followed by 2, 3 then 1, as the frame of the Tuono in general is lighter and it has a carbon steerer v aluminium on the L'Etape. Between options 2, 3 & 4 there will maybe only be 300g difference which is nothing. So my dilemma is do I go for the lightest but most expensive in the Tuono, but this frame also offers the better long term upgrade route. Or do I go for the L'Etape with the lighter wheels (good for climbing and overall weight), or the L'Etape with the better group set (Force 22) and heavier wheels (Aksium S)??

Any advice / opinions welcome.....

Jules.

Last edited:

L14M

Über Member
4 or 3 :smile:

Znook

aka PureZOOG
The saying goes you can change the components but you can't change the frame unless you get a new bike, so go option 4, get it fitted with the components you can afford now then upgrade them later when funds allow.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Why are all bikes listed size 56 then the last one a 61?
They have totally different geometries. The 56 L'Etape has the same horizontal top tube size as the 61 Tuono, so whilst that's only one measure it gives an indication of them being suitable for my measurements.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

The saying goes you can change the components but you can't change the frame unless you get a new bike, so go option 4, get it fitted with the components you can afford now then upgrade them later when funds allow.
Very true.

If it is a keeper then definitely worth going for option 4. But I might change again in a couple of years so keeps option 2&3 as alternatives....

The one that isn't black ;)
You took your time Mrs ^_^

Top Bottom