Which bike to purchase in the cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magorhoop

Hi, Hoping to give Lejog a go at some point and looking for tips on which bike to purchase for the job. I’m not a proper cyclist (yet) But plan on taking a couple of weeks to do it and with no support vehicle etc, so guess it would need to be a touring bike?or is there other options that could take panniers etc.....

vickster

Legendary Member
Many road bikes will also take panniers, mudguards and fatter tyres which you’ll also probably want for commuting
or indeed a flat bar if that’s a preference

The main issue right now is a major lack of stock especially in the sub £1500 market.
You may also be restricted by the bikes available through the scheme your employer uses

OP
OP
M

Magorhoop

The ride isn’t going to be until either the spring of next year or maybe even 2022 so no immediate panic with regard to bike stocks. I thought that touring bikes were slightly longer and this gave clearance between pedals and feet? But that’s great if it gives me more options, thank you.

People do lejog on all-sorts - imo it depends more the type of cycling you want to do.
Do you just want to pootle and aren't that fussed about speed ?

Or do you intend to get pretty fit and have a personal goal in mind ?

At the extremes there's aero road bikes - which will put you in an agressive position - then there's tourers with an array of attachments for racks, mudguards, wider tyres etc....

Then there's a whole host inbetween

The ride isn’t going to be until either the spring of next year or maybe even 2022 so no immediate panic with regard to bike stocks. I thought that touring bikes were slightly longer and this gave clearance between pedals and feet? But that’s great if it gives me more options, thank you.
Interested to know what you settled for in the end?

lejogger

Guru
I've done it unsupported/camping on a mountain bike (slick tyres) and supported on a carbon race bike. Ironically the unsupported version was the shorter tour.

It used to be that if you were carrying luggage then you generally needed a frame with lugs for a rack/guards so you were restricted to touring style/audax frames, however the market for frame mounted luggage is now huge and you'll generally find something that will fit on whatever you have. Lots of the new adventure/gravel style frames have every luggage mount available on them and may be up your street - but you may want to swap out the tyres for something that leans more to on-road than off-road (presuming that's where you'll spend most of your time).

However, you don't particularly want to buy a bike for the purpose of a two week tour. Buy a bike that will suit your cycling requirements for the next few years - as long as it can be adapted for your touring requirements. Otherwise it won't be much use once you've finished.

Ultimately you need something that you'll be comfortable on for 70 miles a day for two weeks, with wheels strong enough to hold the weight of you, plus the bike, plus the luggage you carry.

Top Bottom