Which bike tyre should I go for please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuraTodd

Über Member
I have a Dawes Sonaran hybrid bike which I use for commuting and touring. My back tyre need replacing, and so far I have looked at two Tyre's which are:

Crosstown Hybrid Bike Tyre

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre - Smart Guard

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard City Tyre

I have been told that these tyres are puncture resistant. Please can you advise me which is the best tyre to buy. I am a bit worried that it could make the bike heavy and bulky. Please can you advise me?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that the last two on your list are one and the same, but I might be wrong. I've used Marathon Plus tyres on my commute in London since November and have not had any p#######s at all. Before then, I had a whole stack of grief. Lots of people here speak very highly of them.

S_t_e_v_e

Veteran
Schwalbe Marathon Plus !! Some will say they are heavy, and some will say they are difficult to get on.... but they are very good.

Klaus

I recently fitted a Continental Touride on my back wheel which seems to be ok.
The price was about £13 from Chainreaction (I think) - this tyre also is specced as puncture-resistant.

frank9755

Cyclist
If you want to avoid punctures then get Marathon Plus. You can ride through broken glass with them.

They are slightly slower than, say, normal Marathons, but if you are not trying to race you won't notice the difference.

OP
OP
A

AuraTodd

Über Member
Hi thanks for that. This is what was confusing me, as I didn't know whether to ask for the Smart Guard or the City tyre. Should I go into the bike shop and just ask for a Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre - Smart Guard?

Cheule

Just Schwalbe Marathon Plus is sufficient - and for the extra clued-up LBS staff member just Marathon Plus or even M+ if they really love their tyres ;-)

Davidc

Guru
Schwalbe tyres have served me well over a number of years. Very long lasting and reliable. I use the M without the + and have had no punctures in about 8000 miles of road riding, I'm sure the M+ would be ideal for your use and serve you well, or if you want lighter tyres then the Marathons.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I didn't notice much difference on my hybrid as regards speed, but I'm really slow anyway.

Edit: my tyres are 700x25 so there is less rubber than wider ones.

Bornagaincyclist

There is an awful lot of difference between MTB tyres and Marathons - my bike flys now.
Puting some French chalk (talcom powder) on the tube to stop it sticking to the inside of the tyre is a good idea too!
Somebody still has my cable ties, so I had to use a daughter instead - still worked though

Regards Gordon

Top Bottom