which bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackcountrytone

hello
i suppose you have heard this question many times about which bike to buy,however i am all confused now after been looking for a few days,my problem is well a couple of things really
1 i am rather tall 6'3-4 to be honest so don't know what frame size bike to go with
2 my weight although i was shocked to find out is a few pounds shy of 20 stone
i was looking at a hybrid bike as i would like to do some road and some canal riding on my days off.
So what i would like really is a bike that i won't knacker up due to my weight so i think it would need good components compared to a cheap end bike.
I have a budget of around 700 quid give or take a bit so hopefully i look forward to a few pointers please
thank you
tone

vickster

Legendary Member
You probably need an XL or 60-61cm frame

Your weight shouldn't be too much of an issue, you may need new wheels with more spokes although presumably you are considering a diet along with the cycling so see how you go. Most hybrids have a reasonable number

Go along to your local bike shop and see what they have. Have a look at the pinnacle range from Evans, their house brand, get more bang for your buck. Or look at outgoing models that have been discounted

By hybrid, presumably you mean flat bar. For your propose uses, you dont need suspension and it'll just add weight and slow the bike on roads and towpaths

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Go along to your local bike shop and see what they have.

Good advice.

As a new cyclist, a good relationship with a bike shop will help you in many ways, not just in buying the bike and kit.

All bikes require a bit of fettling now and again.

You are most likely to get speedy help with that from the shop you buy the bike from.

Most local bike shops, when you get to know them, are mini-hubs of local cycling.

This will get you access to route intelligence, group rides, and whatever else is going in your local cycling community.

The bike is the starting point.

As stated, anything around £700 with plenty of spokes will easily take your weight.

We all have our favourite brands, but when it comes down it most brands are no better or worse than others.

Thus we return to your local bike shop.

You won't go far wrong if you buy something you like from them.

Top Bottom