Which Breed Of Dog?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Considering getting a dog, a border terrier is favourite. What do you think?
250px-Border_Terrier_600.jpg

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
No question about it: Border Terrier it is.

Not only are they fine dogs (especially if you enjoy going out in the hills) but also I was told never to get a dog that is better looking than you. Which rather limited my choice to Border Terriers.

longers

Legendary Member
YES!! :blush:

They've been in or around the family for years. Good natured, fit, hard, tough and durable.
I flicked through a dog guide once out of interest and for Border Terriers the entry summarised thus: Able to follow a horse. Perfick - If they can follow horses they can follow a bike (and they can/will).
They're terriers so do the terrier thing but being a terrier is what they are.

A good choice :smile:.

OP
OP
S

starseven

Thats my only concern, the heaths around here are teaming with rabbits do you think they can be trained not to chase em?

longers

Legendary Member
No.

Never.

You'll just have to get used to it. Rabbits is rabbits is rabbits. Your dog won't catch myxi from them and will come back when you're not expecting it. Give a whistle every now and then to let them know which direction you're heading :blush:.
They are very trainable and obedient but sometimes being a terrier gets a bit too much for them and they'll just have to go off and try to do what they were bred for (successfull or not).

Addendum.

In my experience you will be able to train them to not chase but don't beat yourself up if they go off on one. It's what they do.

buggi

Bird Saviour
they are cute. there's one lives near my mom's. he's dead cute and he's called Beamish.

my mate has one. one day she went to the attic room, opened the window and the daft dog jumped out, slid off the roof and fell 3 storeys!

lucky for the dog, the local vet resides over the road. he didn't break any bones though, and he's not so keen on jumping out of windows anymore.

i have a cross bearded collie. she lovely, mischeivious, boisterous and cute. like an overgrown puppy.

longers

Legendary Member
buggi said:
my mate has one. one day she went to the attic room, opened the window and the daft dog jumped out, slid off the roof and fell 3 storeys!

lucky for the dog, the local vet resides over the road. he didn't break any bones though, and he's not so keen on jumping out of windows anymore.

Did I mention that they were hard?
My mums has been run over and is still going strong. He is a tank.

Buggi needs to post doggy pictures. Please post dog pictures Buggi.

buggi

Bird Saviour
longers said:
Did I mention that they were hard?
My mums has been run over and is still going strong. He is a tank.

Buggi needs to post doggy pictures. Please post dog pictures Buggi.

will do it tomorrow. they are on my work's account.

Nice dog - but it's difficult not to like most terriers - for me anyway. Had a Manchester T once, which was totally fearless despite her being a 'slip' of a beast.
You might be the proud recipient of a rabbit carcass one day soon..!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I read somewhere that they weren't the most intelligent of dogs though...
Well, shy of doing your tax returns they seem to be intelligent enough. Well above the Golden Retriever level of inbread dim wittedness.

As for toughness, well a friend has one he takes for a fell run every morning. One morning the dog vanished on the tops above Kirkstone. No amount of whistling brought him back and a search of any obvious places produced no sign. My mate repeated the route before and after work for 9 days without getting him back. Then on the tenth, the dog just trotted up and joined in the run as if nothing had happened.

They still don't know how he survived without any sign of hardship that high in the fells in late November. And it's probably best not to ask a terrier either. The answer may not be too pleasant. Oddly in the next ten years of his life he never so much as left their sight when out running.

U

User482

My aunt has a border terrier. A very cool dog, but as has been said, they will go after rabbits. My aunt sells the rabbits down the pub.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Never had a dog, but if I did I'd like a little wire haired mongrel sort of dog. Plenty of hybrid vigour and brains. Or if space was unlimited, a wolf or deerhound. I reckon I could just about ride it...

Top Bottom