Which Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Hi all,

My new job will still afford me the option on a cycle commute but will no longer be able to store a full sized bike in my office as I can do now so am looking at purchasing a Brompton which, when folded, will fit easily.

The choices available are considerable and I am unsure on which bar and gearing options to opt for. My commute will be around 7 miles across Edinburgh and I am 176cm in height commuting on a road bike at the moment with semi relaxed geometry.

I'm considering the three speed, standard ratio, option with the flat bar. Any advise on suitability for my planned commute would be gratefully received.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a commuter you are probably a fairly strong cyclist, but I would advise making sure first gear is low enough for your climbing needs.

The good news is Brompton dealers are strongly prevailed upon by Brompton to have a demo bike.

My local Brompton dealer has just got a new demo, and will lend it for a day or two or weekend to a genuine buyer.

In my view, three gears is the most you will need - two might be sufficient.

A front luggage block - and a ludicrously expensive Brommie bag - is a better luggage option than a rear carrier.

OP
OP
U

User33236

.....A front luggage block - and a ludicrously expensive Brommie bag - is a better luggage option than a rear carrier.
Thanks. I hadn't got round to thinking about luggage optins yet but that info is great.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks. I hadn't got round to thinking about luggage optins yet but that info is great.

Carrying the weight on the front helps dampen the steering, which can be a bit twitchy, or 'direct' if you prefer.

However you describe it, the steering - and small wheels - is ideal for town use, enabling you to do sharp turns around street furniture at road crossings, stationary vehicles, and the like.

It also adds to the fun and unique feeling of the ride.

I reckon a Brompton is one of the few bikes you can actively steer, rather imperceptibly lean, to make turns.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Had a quick look and the front bags di indeed seem expensive for what they are but what the heck, If I can't treat myself who else will :laugh:

I presume at 176cm in height I should be fine with the standard length seat post too.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Not too hilly. 'Worst' bit is a short stretch, around 300 metres, at just under 8%.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Popped down to a local dealer today and test rode an M3L and the S3L. The former, whilst an inch or so more upright, felt a more natural position for me on the bike than the S bar version. Now to choose the colour :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Front block is indeed best for luggage but you do not need the expensive bag. Get a carrier and then you can fit anything you like to it. I got a "basket" from Lidl for a tenner or thereabouts which is perfect for the job. I can also fit my old carradice saddlebag if required. S bars is best choice I think but you can go for the 44t chainring when you find the standard one is too high.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Front block is indeed best for luggage but you do not need the expensive bag. Get a carrier and then you can fit anything you like to it. I got a "basket" from Lidl for a tenner or thereabouts which is perfect for the job. I can also fit my old carradice saddlebag if required. S bars is best choice I think but you can go for the 44t chainring when you find the standard one is too high.
I managed to get a front bag about 60% off in a clearance sale last week which I was pleased about.

Finally went for the M bars as I need the standard seatpost almost to full extension and the S bars felt a bit to sporty a position for type type of riding I'll be doing on it. Plus you can fine tune reach on the M bars you can't on the S type.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One other note. Get a Dimpa bag from Ikea which is cheap, light and folds up small. The folded bike fits into it perfectly. Some transport operators are a bit sniffy about an uncovered bike so just carry it with you for emergency use.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One other note. Get a Dimpa bag from Ikea which is cheap, light and folds up small. The folded bike fits into it perfectly. Some transport operators are a bit sniffy about an uncovered bike so just carry it with you for emergency use.

On a linked note, worth keeping the box if you have room to store it.

Handy if you ever want to send the bike somewhere.

Top Bottom