Which Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no experience of Bromptons. I'm planning a trip to Belgium by train, ferry and cycling in just over a month and think that a Brompton could be great for this, and for the future.

So I want to get up to speed on Bromptons quickly. Budget £1k.
I need to be prepared for wind so gears will be helpful.

Any advice on where to start looking and what model?

I'm 5'8", 72kg and will be staying in hotels, B and B, so no camping.

It looks like you are going through a similar process to mine.

The reasons I went for a Brompton are fairly specific to my situation, and in all honesty one was just that I preferred the colours...

However, once you are on the road I can reccomend going a bit beyond Belgium: there's a lovely country just to the east...

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Having listened to all the information and thoughts on this thread I visited the local Halfords yesterday; their stock checker showed they have five Bromptons in stock.

Guy in store says they never stock any; he might be able to get me one in so long as I like blue.

Today I cycled over to the local 'proper' Brompton dealer with creditcard in hand. Great service, but I left having been advised that 50 mile days on a Brompton will be quite a bit tougher than 50 mile days on my tourer.

Time to reflect for a few days. I have never had any big problems travelling with my Spa, so I need to decide whether some great conveniences (take it into shops, cafes, treat it as baggage) outweigh the cost and extra effort.

Hmmm.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
An "interesting" dilemma. Clearly you're a lot more accomplished than me in this regard (my biggest "tour" has been about 30 miles round trip to a BBQ), however rightly or wrongly the Brompton seems to offer a softer introduction with its greater versatility in relation to public transport, storage at accommodation etc and potentially allowing the use of a greater range of public transport if you don't want to do all travelling on the bike.

I think you'll find the Brompton slower and potentially more tiring than a proper tourer... however I've been impressed by how not horrible it is compared to a full-sized bike considering the design compromises involved. I've not personally done big miles on mine but find it comfortable enough over the typically-8-miles-each-way it sees on the commute.

Are you dead-set on buying new? It seems that your intended application would benefit from all of the gears, however your previously stated budget of a grand won't accommodate this if buying new..

I feel for you that you've hit a speed bump.

Today I cycled over to the local 'proper' Brompton dealer with creditcard in hand. Great service, but I left having been advised that 50 mile days on a Brompton will be quite a bit tougher than 50 mile days on my tourer.

Did you enquire what experience he has had touring on both a Brompton and a more conventional tourer?
Different is certainly an adjective that I'd use, but not necessarily tougher. I have no recollection of anyone who has toured on a Brompton expressing that opinion.

Tim Tower over on CGOAB has done some heavy duty touring on at least two and possibly three distinct bikes, including a Bike Friday (I always thought it was a Bromoton). I don't recall him ever noting that the BF was tougher. He goes into huge detail on his decision making process in his Journals and has always struck me as the kind of guy happy to offer advice. Perhaps you could reach out to him? (I think that members can contact each other)
For perspective, he did the Trampoline of Death on a Bike Friday (with a trailer!) and I recall him specifically shortening the chain in order to keep the rear derailleur higher to give it as much protection as he could.

Time to reflect for a few days
Never a bad idea.

As I said before, this is something I'm particularly interested in. My own (very vague notion currently) would be to spend more than your 1k budget but then to have the bike that will work in all the ways that I'll want it to work. I'd be prepared to go second hand and happy to wait to get a feel for the value of things.
Very boring, I know.

One final thought from left field. Anything to be said for checking out options in NL or Belgium while you're there, or even in advance?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
An "interesting" dilemma. Clearly you're a lot more accomplished than me in this regard (my biggest "tour" has been about 30 miles round trip to a BBQ), however rightly or wrongly the Brompton seems to offer a softer introduction with its greater versatility in relation to public transport, storage at accommodation etc and potentially allowing the use of a greater range of public transport if you don't want to do all travelling on the bike.

I think you'll find the Brompton slower and potentially more tiring than a proper tourer... however I've been impressed by how not horrible it is compared to a full-sized bike considering the design compromises involved. I've not personally done big miles on mine but find it comfortable enough over the typically-8-miles-each-way it sees on the commute.

Are you dead-set on buying new? It seems that your intended application would benefit from all of the gears, however your previously stated budget of a grand won't accommodate this if buying new..

Thanks @wafter

The budget has done what budgets do, and I'd rather spend £1200 or £1400 on a new six speed than take a risk buying unseen on ebay for £900. The secondhand market is a bit limited down here!

I'm pretty confident that if I once get a Brompton I'd never want to be without one, but that isn't a reason to buy one in a steaming rush.

This is how I make purchases!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've toured on mine a few times - a few weekends, and ten days in Provence including Ventoux. I used a six speed riser bar, (M6 in old money) and the Brompton T-Bag, which took a weeks luggage with space to spare.
For touring I'd probably put a compact chainset on there, which gives you the option of lower gears. I'd only bother if you have a compact in the spares heap.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I feel for you that you've hit a speed bump.

Did you enquire what experience he has had touring on both a Brompton and a more conventional tourer?
Different is certainly an adjective that I'd use, but not necessarily tougher. I have no recollection of anyone who has toured on a Brompton expressing that opinion.

Tim Tower over on CGOAB has done some heavy duty touring on at least two and possibly three distinct bikes, including a Bike Friday (I always thought it was a Bromoton). I don't recall him ever noting that the BF was tougher. He goes into huge detail on his decision making process in his Journals and has always struck me as the kind of guy happy to offer advice. Perhaps you could reach out to him? (I think that members can contact each other)
For perspective, he did the Trampoline of Death on a Bike Friday (with a trailer!) and I recall him specifically shortening the chain in order to keep the rear derailleur higher to give it as much protection as he could.

Never a bad idea.

As I said before, this is something I'm particularly interested in. My own (very vague notion currently) would be to spend more than your 1k budget but then to have the bike that will work in all the ways that I'll want it to work. I'd be prepared to go second hand and happy to wait to get a feel for the value of things.
Very boring, I know.

One final thought from left field. Anything to be said for checking out options in NL or Belgium while you're there, or even in advance?

Thanks @HobbesOnTour

This is all useful learning. A week ago I hadn't considered a Brompton, so another week won't do any harm.

The person I spoke with in the shop has a Brompton and frequently tours on conventional bikes. His colleague, who also has a B and tours, backed up what he said.

Neither said that you can't tour on a small wheeled bike, just that long days take a bit more effort

Kell

Veteran
I was only thinking this week that it's in no way as uncomfortable as you'd think.

I went out for a 25 mile ride on my road bike at the weekend. And it's a bike that I would consider to be comfortable. But I felt like I was being shaken to bits on it. It's carbon too, so it normally has a nice feel. Way more comfortable than my old aluminium road bike.

Then on Tuesday I was back on the Brommie and thinking that while it isn't as fast, I actually think it might be more comfortable. I 'think' it's down to the excessively long stem and seatpost offering a suspension of sorts. Certainly enough to kill road buzz.

The longest single journey I made on the Brompton was around 27 miles. most of it was on a canal tow path - which sounds idyllic. And it was for the beginning. Then it became unpaved and I did around 15 miles on semi-dry mud with rocks and tree roots. All along I was wishing for my MTB - but mainly just because of knobbly tyres and bigger wheels. Other than that i've done a few 20+ mile rides on it and found it no better or worse than a 'normal' bike.

Your brain tells you a Brompton CAN'T be as good for touring as a proper bike, but I've yet to see anyone prove that. They're certainly capable of huge mileage without fuss - so long as the terrain isn't really bad.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks @wafter

The budget has done what budgets do, and I'd rather spend £1200 or £1400 on a new six speed than take a risk buying unseen on ebay for £900. The secondhand market is a bit limited down here!

I'm pretty confident that if I once get a Brompton I'd never want to be without one, but that isn't a reason to buy one in a steaming rush.

This is how I make purchases!

No worries and yes; I can completely relate to all of those. When I started looking I had in mind a budget of maybe £350-450; which slowly crept up (and eventually shot up!) as I got a feel for the model range, the advantages of various models and what sort of money they tended to go for.

Another good point of note re. the used / new argument is the range of conditions you're likely to find these bikes in when buying used; which I think might be quite a dichotomy.

They seem prone to a lot more wear / damage thanks to their folding nature and lack of protection from the factory, while they're utility vehicles often bought by people out of necessity who might not otherwise identify as cyclists - cue hard life through much use and neglect. The counter to that is that I bet many are bought by people with the best of intentions who do one ten minute ride to the bus, decide it's not for them then chuck it in a cupboard to be sold at a later date..

As I've said with mine, despite being newish and low mileage it had a fair bit of damage already, while it's probably seen more degradation in the 600 miles of my ownership than my gravel bike has in 4.5k miles.. so I guess that's also an argument for buying new (and spending a big chunk of your life attempting to protect the wear-points on the frame if you're as OCD as I am).

I'm with you on taking your time too; it usually takes me months to make a decision on anything - however in this case the process was quicker as the commute was making me noticeably more homicidal / suicidal with every miserable outing..

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The thing I'd say about Bromptons is that they give you options. I've got across Paris with a dismantled and bagged road bike, and with a Brompton. The Brommie won hands down - 30 seconds to unfold it, ride away. Ferries are much of a muchness, trains the Brommie is easier, and Eurostar it's a complete no brainer. Busses will take a Brommie but rarely a full-size bike.
For touring - yes, I usually find a Brommie is a bit slower than my other bikes. But does that matter? If I'm riding from Forcalquier to Apt, that's 64k, and that figure doesn't change if I go faster. My touring day is, more than likely, governed by where hotels are, or where I need to be to do something that only happens every so often, like get a bus to Sault.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I only tour on my Brompton these days. I’m not in the first flush of youth or particularly fit. I’ve just calculated my BMI and it’s 26 - that should give you an idea of my shape!!

I find 60 mile days relatively easy (split into three sessions with longish cafe stops in between. I travel light and stay in hostels, B&Bs and the occasional hotel. The Brompton is the ideal bike for this…..and if life becomes too much, I fold it, take a bus or a train and never ever feel guilty.

Kell

Veteran
Another good point of note re. the used / new argument is the range of conditions you're likely to find these bikes in when buying used; which I think might be quite a dichotomy.
A fair few years ago we bought my daughter an ISLA bike.

They're proper bikes, just designed for kids. So quality components etc just scaled down.

They're a bit like Bromptons in that I've yet to find another brand that holds its value so well.

When we came to sell it, my daugher had used it less than 10 times in total. Probably less than five. So it was pretty much in 'as new' condition.

The woman that bought it was buying two - as she had twins. She'd already bought the other one and paid £20 less than for ours. And it was in a dreadful state. Clearly heavily used, scratched, dirty, not maintained.

The same seems to be true of Bromptons in that no matter their condition they seem to sell for roughly the same prices. Careful shopping will net a gem - if you have time to wait.

Top Bottom