Which Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have no experience of Bromptons. I'm planning a trip to Belgium by train, ferry and cycling in just over a month and think that a Brompton could be great for this, and for the future.

So I want to get up to speed on Bromptons quickly. Budget £1k.
I need to be prepared for wind so gears will be helpful.

Any advice on where to start looking and what model?

I'm 5'8", 72kg and will be staying in hotels, B and B, so no camping.

I have no experience of Bromptons. I'm planning a trip to Belgium by train, ferry and cycling in just over a month and think that a Brompton could be great for this, and for the future.

I think my next bike will be a touring capable folder and I'd like to point out that there are more options than a Brompton. I've been known to throw on an incognito tab and go perving over Airnimal or Bike Friday websites^_^

As always CGOAB has a folding bike tour category

To be really, really dull and boring, a month isn't a long time to do some research, get a bike, get used to it and get it set up for the lowlands. Especially if you have longer term plans for that bike.
Sorry! :blush:

The other thing is that if going second hand, they're the kind of bikes that don't show up very often. Sometimes a bit of patience can throw up a deal.

There's a lot to getting the most out of a folder for touring, especially loaded, and potentially a lot of additional expense for maximising carrying space. A bit of thought and some research can stand to you in the long run.

My suggestion would be to look at Decathlon for a cheap "proof of concept" bike (250 quid, I believe), have your adventure, learn and refine what you might be needing. Decathlon have a decent returns policy. You might even be able to return it afterwards.........^_^

And please, keep us updated on the topic. I'd love to follow along.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think my next bike will be a touring capable folder and I'd like to point out that there are more options than a Brompton. I've been known to throw on an incognito tab and go perving over Airnimal or Bike Friday websites^_^

As always CGOAB has a folding bike tour category

To be really, really dull and boring, a month isn't a long time to do some research, get a bike, get used to it and get it set up for the lowlands. Especially if you have longer term plans for that bike.
Sorry! :blush:

The other thing is that if going second hand, they're the kind of bikes that don't show up very often. Sometimes a bit of patience can throw up a deal.

There's a lot to getting the most out of a folder for touring, especially loaded, and potentially a lot of additional expense for maximising carrying space. A bit of thought and some research can stand to you in the long run.

My suggestion would be to look at Decathlon for a cheap "proof of concept" bike (250 quid, I believe), have your adventure, learn and refine what you might be needing. Decathlon have a decent returns policy. You might even be able to return it afterwards.........^_^

And please, keep us updated on the topic. I'd love to follow along.

Thanks for that, @HobbesOnTour

I agree with all your points.

I should have said that we have a folder, an aging Bickerton. It continues to serve us well, and I have happily cycled 30-40 mile days on it. It is a bit of an awkward and bulky beast when folded. I'll pop out to Halfords tomorrow to see how their bikes are when folded and maybe go into St John St Cycles to see how a Brompton compares.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Gearing options are currently two-speed (plain axle, 2sp pseudo-derailleur), three speed (3sp hub gear, no external shifting) and six speed (3sp hub gear and 2sp pseudo-derailleur). Historic options include a single speed, five-speed hub gear and possibly a few more.

Current steel models from 2021 are branded A-Line (base model) and C-Line (higher end). I think for a short time both were available with all gearing options; now the A-Line is only available as a three speed, C-Line can be 2sp "Urban" or 6sp "Explore". New the A-Line starts at £950, the C-Line at £1250 for 3sp, £1450 for the 6sp. The A-Line is more basic and has fewer options (white finish and medium height bars only), the C-Line has more options (colours and tarty lacquer finishes at extra cost, three different bar heights...).

Immediately prior to 2021 the naming convention was different (and arguably better) to reflect spec in a 3-character acronym - the first letter being the bar spec Short, Medium, High or P for the weird, now-deceased butterfly format), the number being the no. gears, the last letter being the guard / rack spec - E (nowt), L (guards) or R (rack and guards).. so an M6L would have med. bars, six speeds and mudguards only.

Beyond that there are other, older specs but as I was advised before buying mine, given the spec changes, improvements and cost of updating earlier bikes that it's better to get a later one.

Used prices seem robust; starting at maybe 50-60% of the cost of a new equialent.

albion

Guru
Oyama folding bike . Ebay.
It is an S500. Has a 6 second fold and the trolley pannier rack hauls 27kg if you are stupud enough to try.

Strangely it got into Argos, maybe because Moore and Large needed some cash.
Not a Bromton status symbol though this would be lighter than the C line with a rack.

Kevberlin

I own two Bromptons. The six speed variant is a far more usable bike than the three speed.
Gearing can be further lowered by simply replacing the 50t chain ring with 44t. I live in a hilly area, and this suits the locality and my ageing legs.
They are class machines. Used ones are not cheap but always easy to sell, should the need arise.
Good luck.

Kell

Veteran
Brompton make surprisingly capable tourers (just ask Heinz Stucke - who's done 60,000 km on his).

And if you have to take the bike into a hotel room, then nothing will beat that Brompton fold. Plus you can take an Ikea Dimple bag along for the ride and the Brompton fits into it as if it was designed for it. Which might help you get around all the protestation from staff.

For touring having a wide spread of gears would be one of the things that I'd be looking at. So probably wouldn't be considering anything other than the 6-speed.

I think the post above from @wafter omitted the more recent 4-speed bikes. Maybe because you'd never get one in your budget - but also because in some ways, it actually makes less sense than the 3-speed as it doesn't have the spread. 1st is higher than 1st on the 3-speed and 4th is shorter than 3rd.

Of course, this may or may not be perfect for you depending on terrain and your natural cadence.

Last edited:
Gearing options are currently two-speed (plain axle, 2sp pseudo-derailleur), three speed (3sp hub gear, no external shifting) and six speed (3sp hub gear and 2sp pseudo-derailleur). Historic options include a single speed, five-speed hub gear and possibly a few more.
There's the 4-speed derailleur option now too. I have it on a Chpt3 and it's very neat, lightweight and offers virtually the same range of gearing as the 6-speed. You trade bigger steps between ratios for much simplified shifting and lighter weight. It's on new P-Line and T-line bikes, but I don't know how many of those have filtered through to the used market yet, apart from the unused Ti ones where chancers were selling them at a profit.

I'd look for a C-Line Explore with a wide-ratio hub (with flat bars being my preference but that's up to you). Or, if you're passing anywhere near Essex in the next couple of weeks you're welcome to borrow one for the duration. As we're approaching the end (or past?) of summer, prices shouldn't be too silly on the second-hand market and if you buy well you won't lose out if you choose to move it on again afterwards.

Kell

Veteran
There's the 4-speed derailleur option now too. I have it on a Chpt3 and it's very neat, lightweight and offers virtually the same range of gearing as the 6-speed.

It really doesn't. It offers less range than the 3-speed. See my post above.

It's surprising - but someone posted an image showing ratios - ages ago.

It's one of those things that if it suits you, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There's the 4-speed derailleur option now too. I have it on a Chpt3 and it's very neat, lightweight and offers virtually the same range of gearing as the 6-speed. You trade bigger steps between ratios for much simplified shifting and lighter weight. It's on new P-Line and T-line bikes, but I don't know how many of those have filtered through to the used market yet, apart from the unused Ti ones where chancers were selling them at a profit.

I'd look for a C-Line Explore with a wide-ratio hub (with flat bars being my preference but that's up to you). Or, if you're passing anywhere near Essex in the next couple of weeks you're welcome to borrow one for the duration. As we're approaching the end (or past?) of summer, prices shouldn't be too silly on the second-hand market and if you buy well you won't lose out if you choose to move it on again afterwards.
Indeed, however I purposefully left out the 4sp option as it's only available on models that are well outside the stated budget ;)

Tbh while it's a bit convoluted, in use I very much like the 6sp setup on my C-Line :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you choose a Brompton, one with 6 gears. But Tern and Bike Friday also make some nice bikes. They run on standard gearing. Bromptons gear system is bespoke to Brompton. If you break down somewhere remote, it could be a problem to get parts.

Rocky

Hello decadence
What Steve says is true but in 15 years of riding a Brompton I’ve never had the gears break. My sturmey archer hub rattled a bit and the derailleur got a bit bunged up with grime (easily fixed by cleaning and oiling), but no other problems.

I have a couple of 6 speed mid handlebar brommies both with 44 chain rings. Suit me fine for touring and general riding.

Good luck!!

berlinonaut

Veteran
Current steel models from 2021 are branded A-Line (base model) and C-Line (higher end). I think for a short time both were available with all gearing options;
No, the A-Line is a follow up to the former B75 and this revitalized the former entry level C-Model (2000-2007, not to be confused with the C-Line since 2021). All three are/were exclusively avail with a 3-speed hub and M-bars, a fixed, very basic set of features (i.e. lack of mudguards and the folding pedal) and in a single color. Plus they were/are based on an older state of development, The C-model basically on the MK2 pre 2000, B75 and now A-Line on the state of about 2012: Old shifters, old stem, old bars, old brakelevers etc. plus lackings like no pentaclip, no folding-pedal etc.
C-Line can be 2sp "Urban" or 6sp "Explore".
Until 2022 the C-Line had a 3-speed option as well ("Utilitiy"). This has vanished since 2023.
Immediately prior to 2021 the naming convention was different (and arguably better) to reflect spec in a 3-character acronym - the first letter being the bar spec Short, Medium, High or P for the weird, now-deceased butterfly format), the number being the no. gears, the last letter being the guard / rack spec - E (nowt), L (guards) or R (rack and guards).. so an M6L would have med. bars, six speeds and mudguards only.
You are missing a letter or two: There was also the option for a D (dynamo lightening) and for a small x (titanium parts, which now has effectively become the P-Line). So you could have had i.e. a M6LDx - a lightweight M-bar Brompton with mudguards, dynamo lighting and xtra-light tiantium parts.
Beyond that there are other, older specs but as I was advised before buying mine, given the spec changes, improvements and cost of updating earlier bikes that it's better to get a later one.
absolutely true and good advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom