Which Calorie Count Is Correct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a question about the calorie calculators, but from a little different skew.
I am dragging a trailer with 2.5 gallon water jugs inside for training. 2.5 gallons of water weighs approximately 20 lbs. The trailer weighs about 23 lbs.
Can I add the weight of the water and the trailer to my weight and then calculate the calories burned?

WTF are you doing that for....

Maybe he is off to give water to some horses????? A bit bloody weird though, reminds me a bit of the Rocky films.

Leodis

Veteran
with a HRM on Garmin it works out at 500 cals per hour depending on HR. I find Strava pretty good on it and it auto loads direct to MyFitnessPal

Using an Edge 500 up until last Nov I had my Cal/Mile down to around the 40 mark (635 or so an hr) when I started using the Bryton R20 in Dec it went to 52cal/hr it went up a little from Jan to Mar, the edge 705 gives different results again, the units are a little basic to give anything like accurate results.

brand

Simplistic I know but does it matter? The aim (I assume) is to increase your calorie consumption. So as long as the device you use is accurate in its inaccuracy then it doesn't matter! If it says you have used 600 calories and is 20% out, it won't matter if it is always 20% out. An increase to 800 calorie consumption is an increase. As all these devices appear to be wrong or at best untrust worthy then stick with one... the one that gives you the lower score! That way you don't think you can get away with eating a gateaux for breakfast!!

Last edited:

brand

Bit harsh, I often pull trailers with firewood or apples in. He could be making savings on his water bill. He could live in a relative flat area and therefore be trying to mimick cycling up hills. Combining cycling and weight training.

michaelcycle

Bit harsh, I often pull trailers with firewood or apples in. He could be making savings on his water bill. He could live in a relative flat area and therefore be trying to mimick cycling up hills. Combining cycling and weight training.

It is a "strongman" exercise - the sled drag.

It has multiple applications including saving on your water bill...

brand

Arhh so cycling not included. As it is a sled then I would add it. Do you live near the Lincolnshire Wolds? I need some wood picking up and later on some apples! I am happy to do you a favour let you do it.

Stonerosegardens

Why make the rides less pleasurable by riding slower and lugging extra weight behind you, when you could just ride faster without the extra load?

Many of us are trying to do the opposite - minimising weight on us and the bikes.

The added weight isn't going to make a huge difference to how much energy you use unless you are riding up lots of hills.
Hi Colin,
That's exactly what I'm doing (climbing lots of hills). And I'm only pulling the trailer for the added exercise. i don't have a lot of spare time until later in the fall. When I do get a chance to ride with my family, the rides seem a lot easier, sans trailer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,
That's exactly what I'm doing (climbing lots of hills). And I'm only pulling the trailer for the added exercise. i don't have a lot of spare time until later in the fall. When I do get a chance to ride with my family, the rides seem a lot easier, sans trailer.
Well, it is your choice ...

I suppose I used to be doing something similar, except that my added load was round my waist - over 60 pounds of it! Riding without that definitely feels a lot easier ... :thumbsup:

I've never got my head round the calorie thing.

Even if I knew 100% accurately what I'd burned on the ride, I still would't know what I'd burned in other activities during the day. Do people eat to make up the deficit, and/or eat less to lose weight? If it's just weight, how does muscle mass get factored in?

When replacing the calories used, how accurate is the information on calorie content? As I understand it, the figures on packets are a best guess based on the individual ingredients, with no real consideration of the synergistic effects of them all together.

Even the ones where it's measured in a lab, only really gives the total calorific content, which may well not be available in a usable form.

Top Bottom