Which Canyon…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lexical

Hello all, my first post here so be gentle!

I started road cycling this year and only bought a Trek Domane AL to start with as wasn’t sure I would like the sport.

Turns out I’m loving it and in the next few months or so I want to get myself a decent carbon bike with Di2 / etap.

I’m currently considering 3 different Canyon bikes and wondered what people’s opinions of them were and which they would choose.

The three are;

Endurace CF SL with Ultegra Di2 (Link)

Endurace CF SL with Rival etap and power meter (Link)

Or Ultimate CF SL with 105 Di2 (Link)

(To be fair could also consider the ultimate with rival etap)

I’m not sure what to go for, have always had Shimano mechanical and never tried Di2 or etap. I’m leaning towards Endurace only because of the more relaxed geometry and of these the etap as it includes a power meter which would help with my improvement I think. Also it’s £500 cheaper than the Shimano.

Happy to hear people’s thoughts! Or even another brand around this level.

Jameshow

Veteran
Middle one is 500gms heavier? Is that the power meter!

I couldn't pay £3.5k for a 8.5kg bike!!

Read recently the finish isnt good as it was on canyon

Ribble! I always think if them as simalar challenger brands!

I like off beat brands like focus, cube, Ridley, Dolan etc.

I'd wait until next year now. Ride your current bike through the winter and then order a new bike for the nicer weather.

What kind of cycling do you do ? Hills or flat ? Short or long ? Commuting to work or weekend rides?

What do you like about your Trek ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why have you settled on electronic shifting, a specific reason or because you fancy it? You pay a big premium

OP
OP
L

Lexical

Thanks for the replies so far!

My riding is mostly for exercise and enjoyment so no commuting. It’s quite hilly round where I live, I’m currently doing about 2-2.5 hours max but I want to get better and faster.

What do I like about my Trek… I mean it feels well built? It’s nothing special really I think. I’ve settled on electronic shifting because of the ability to customise and the lower maintenance. My mechanical tiagra seems to need constant adjustment and it’s annoying. I also feel it’s a decent step up. I want to keep this bike for a long time so I’m prepared to pay £3kish for it.

Cheaper gearsets do need more maintenance I find but I haven't touched my SRAM force on my main bike in the two years I've had it. You don't need electric gears for that.

If I were you I'd be looking for bikes I can try in the shop. You want the right size and set up as you like.

Giant make some nice bikes and are all over the country.

OP
OP
L

Lexical

Cheaper gearsets do need more maintenance I find but I haven't touched my SRAM force on my main bike in the two years I've had it. You don't need electric gears for that.

If I were you I'd be looking for bikes I can try in the shop. You want the right size and set up as you like.

Giant make some nice bikes and are all over the country.

Thanks for your advice, I may ride a few for sure. I’m pretty convinced I want an endurance of some sorts though as I’m not a racer.

I have had a look and it seems to me that Canyon is pretty good value really?

DRM

Guru
Strange that your Tiagra group set needs constant adjustments I’ve got two bikes, one with 4600, the other with 4700, I haven’t had to make any adjustments to either, they just work, the latest 4700 version is on a par with the 105 5700 series in the quality of gear change smoothness
Also do some digging regarding delivery from Canyon, there are reports it can be a bit hit and miss

OP
OP
L

Lexical

Strange that your Tiagra group set needs constant adjustments I’ve got two bikes, one with 4600, the other with 4700, I haven’t had to make any adjustments to either, they just work, the latest 4700 version is on a par with the 105 5700 series in the quality of gear change smoothness
Also do some digging regarding delivery from Canyon, there are reports it can be a bit hit and miss

Yeah I mean the shifting performance is pretty good but like I said it’s had various issues including a drivetrain that kept completely locking all the way to a bottom bracket bearing cup that had cracked and come loose inside the frame.

What’s peoples opinions on SRAM rival etap? I know it’s a bit heavy, but I’ve never used anything but Shimano. I’ve watched loads of reviews and they all seems to rave about it for the price?

Buck

Guru
I have the Endurace CF SL With Di2. It is a great bike - when i bought it iI got the aero pack mainly for the upgraded wheels - Reynolds AR41.

Everything about the bike is great - i took a risk with the integrated cockpit but no regrets.
Looking at prices now they are a lot higher than wheni bought 2 years ago.

oh and it is in red which make it a lot faster … obviously ^_^

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are going to have the same maintenance with electronic. The only added difference is the very occasional cable changes with mechanical.

Top Bottom