Which car has more space for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Any car, as long as it has a tow bar.

A Thule tow bar mounted bike rack come in 2, 3 or 4 bike sizes
They fold flat so they can live in the boot
They take maybe 30 seconds to mount on the tow bar
Any there is no lifting bikes onto the roof or removing of wheels to load them

Personally I can't see why anyone would put bikes inside a car
( I currently have a Berlingo, and recently have had Landrover Defender and Transit, all had a tow bar, all used the same Thule bike rack)

You put the bikes inside the car to protect them from damage, weather and theft. Don't forget they are valuable in a way that the car isn't. This is especially good if you are staying in a hotel or going abroad with your bikes.

lane

Veteran
I have an avensis it is massive with the back seat down. You would have no need to take the wheel off. It has been very reliable, cheap to run and at 106k miles is like new. Lot bigger than the insignia for sure don't really know about the others - but can't imagine you would need anything bigger.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Yep, they are fairly sizeable, but nothing like a Superb (or even an Octavia)

You live in London, why t f do you need an SUV?

MMmmh not entirely sure why SUV... initially I thought they had more space but I know that's bogus unless it's one of those really big SUVs. I suppose i just kind of got used to them after going in one a few times. Talking of which, now I'm thinking of a Mercedes GL/GLS. Tadaa!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I like my Astra Estate. There's no lip to get in the way when the tailgate is open - its completely flat. I have had six different bikes in there and never had to take wheels off or anything else. Got another last night actually and I already had a couple of frames and an old wheel in there that I was going to take to my local scrap dealer but forgot!

PK99

Legendary Member
honda civic tourer work for us.

Great car, ultra reliable and cavernous boot space without being a boxy estate

Top Bottom