Which Carbon frame ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rando

Veteran
Trying to decide on a new road bike and want it to be a carbon frame bike but looking at the overall price of a complete bike a couple on my list are about the same price but just buying the carbon frameset seems a fair difference in price.
So comparing the 2 frames below does the dearer frame from Canyon offer a much better grade of carbon compared to the Dolan Mythos one.
http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Dolan-Mythos-Frameset (£400)
http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2530 (£720)

A complete bike from both with Ultegra gearset is the same. (This does mean upgrading the wheels on the Dolan Mythos to match the Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0).
It will be a complete bike I purchase but trying to decide which frameset is the better one.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Canyon looks nicer!

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
Agreed that the Canyon looks very nice indeed but forgetting the total overall price of either as a complete bike do you think the Canyon carbon frame is much better quality than the Dolan.
My reasons are then if the frames are about the same then I would be happy to spec a Dolan Mythos with 105 rather than Ultegra and save a couple of hundred ££'s.

I doubt if there will be any practical or noticable difference between the two - and unless you can ride both and decide for yourself, then the best option would be to buy the one which you think looks nicer...

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The Dolan uses 12k carbon which is very likey T700 as they are not specific. The 12k means that there are 12,000 filaments per tow, the stiffness and strength are indicated by other values which are not expressed. T700 is widely used by unbranded quality frames from the far east.
Canyon are not so open regarding either the grade of carbon used or the layup process. I am unable to find specifics relating to this but admittedly have not looked very hard.

Why the need for a carbon bike, not all carbon is created equal and its often marketed as a buzzword associated with performance which is not always the case. Sometimes a frame of a different material can be faster, stiffer and better.
Having had S-Works Venges and non S-Works Venges go through my hands, I know from experience that these are not the same bikes or offer the same experiences, The non s-works features a lower grade carbon and different layup process and the result is that it feels softer, more compromised and less lively as such I will never buy another carbon bike unless the manufacturer sends me details of the carbon used and the layup process.
Make sure you do your research and know what your buying.

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
The Dolan uses 12k carbon which is very likey T700 as they are not specific. The 12k means that there are 12,000 filaments per tow, the stiffness and strength are indicated by other values which are not expressed. T700 is widely used by unbranded quality frames from the far east.
Canyon are not so open regarding either the grade of carbon used or the layup process. I am unable to find specifics relating to this but admittedly have not looked very hard.

Why the need for a carbon bike, not all carbon is created equal and its often marketed as a buzzword associated with performance which is not always the case. Sometimes a frame of a different material can be faster, stiffer and better.
Having had S-Works Venges and non S-Works Venges go through my hands, I know from experience that these are not the same bikes or offer the same experiences, The non s-works features a lower grade carbon and different layup process and the result is that it feels softer, more compromised and less lively as such I will never buy another carbon bike unless the manufacturer sends me details of the carbon used and the layup process.
Make sure you do your research and know what your buying.
Thanks for the information. Manufacturers certainly don't make it easy to compare like for like. Initially I wasn't set on a carbon frame but most of the reviews I have read state that carbon would give a more 'comfortable' ride over longer distances. I tend to ride 50 miles plus rides each weekend but no racing.
I emailed canyon about the ultimate alu 9.0 di2 against the carbon ultimate 9.0 and even though the alu bike was more expensive they thought the carbon bike would be better suited to my type of rides.
It is so difficult because even if you can get a test ride it won't be for the miles I do on each ride to get a decent assessment. I suppose I am drawn in by all the carbon marketing hype. Did consider Ti from Van Nicholas but to get one with 105 spec took it over my budget.

Initially I wasn't set on a carbon frame but most of the reviews I have read state that carbon would give a more 'comfortable' ride over longer distances. I tend to ride 50 miles plus rides each weekend but no racing.
Set up is far more critical to comfort IMO. I can ride my alu CAAD10 farther then I ever did my cf Trek Madone 5.5 or cf Focus Cayo Pro.

Both the cf bikes were the right size for me, but I can only presume the fit wasn't quite right somewhere along the line.

Granted the CAAD10 has the most advanced alu frame in the world, whereas the Cayo was budget cf, but the Madone has been one of the best regarded cf frames over the past few years, so go figure.

CF is not the be all and end all IMO. Most people assume it's an upgrade over alu, but it's not always the case. I'd rather have a top end alu frame than a budget cf one.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
CF is not the be all and end all IMO. Most people assume it's an upgrade over alu, but it's not always the case. I'd rather have a top end alu frame than a budget cf one.

Totally agree 100% I think equally that because Carbon is kewl its has not been presented that Alu has matured as a cycle frame product, the material itself and the manufacturing process has improved massively. Some fantastic alu bikes to be had these days.

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
Totally agree 100% I think equally that because Carbon is kewl its has not been presented that Alu has matured as a cycle frame product, the material itself and the manufacturing process has improved massively. Some fantastic alu bikes to be had these days.
So other than the CAAD10 then what other alu bikes are highly recommended in the £1500 range ?

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
Maybe I need to get a ride on the CAAD10 then to compare with my Trek alu bike so see what difference there is. Will try and source one local to me.

Top Bottom